Plants for new chicken coop

kaylad1993

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
Hello, I have just started building my new chicken coop and I’m looking for plants/trees to be planting along/in the coop. I’m also building a garden around the outskirts of the coop. What plants are hardy enough (drought tolerant) that are not poisonous to the chickens?

Its not true that you can’t grow anything in a run. But you need to consider these ‘rules’:
  • 🍂The run has to be big enough with healthy soil and lots of living space for you're chickens
  • 🚿The run must not be covered with a roof and you must not live in a desert or you have to water a lot.
  • 😋 Plants the chickens like to eat have little chance and tasty bushes must be protected for a few years.
  • ☠️ poisoness plants are no hazard if the chickens always have acces to good food. Sane chickens don’t eat them.
4266DFA6-B812-4E69-BE24-B3B391AFB4E6.jpeg

This was my run last autumn where barley even had a chance to sprout (now its all gone again).
There are a currant, a gooseberry , a rieberry and a cherry laurel in the run and I keep them small and beneath the netting.
FFB76B26-EB72-4C17-8CDB-2A8662A74034.jpeg

There is also a container with grass and herbs in the run with hwc on top to prevent scratching.
Edit: photo’s

Last edited:
Hello, I have just started building my new chicken coop and I’m looking for plants/trees to be planting along/in the coop. I’m also building a garden around the outskirts of the coop. What plants are hardy enough (drought tolerant) that are not poisonous to the chickens?
Some pics of what you're building would help here.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @kaylad1993
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615040315813.png

I have rosemary, oregano and thyme planted in my chickens run along with pomegranate trees. My chickens love to sit under the rosemary bush because I have it trimmed like an umbrella. I also have planted mint around their run and when they scratch at it, it releases a very nice scent of mint

Last edited:
I have an established forsythia bush in my run. The run had a roof over it for most of last year, but the bush was close to the fence so it must have gotten enough water from the other side, because it did fine without being watered. The chickens ate whatever leaves they could reach, but the bush is 8 feet tall so it has plenty left to live on. I haven't had any problems with the chickens digging at the roots. I did, however, have an unexpected problem with the chickens eating the bark of the stems and lower branches (WTF?!?) in the winter. I had to put chicken wire around the base of the bush to protect it. It remains to be seen if the poor bush will survive the damage, but it has buds now so maybe it's okay? The chickens LOVE hiding under it in the summer for shade and protection. I would recommend putting chicken wire around the base of anything woody you plant in there. I never thought chickens would eat bark, but here we are...

I have mosquito issues...so I plant - varieties of thyme, oregano, basil, lemon balm, marigolds, etc around the coop to control the mosquitoes and flies...in other pot, i plant greens in stages that get moved into the runs to be destroyed and replanted.

Back
Top Bottom