Plants for Shade

Our sunny mild climate produces way too many fast-growing weeds to maintain a pretty lawn or have flowers that don't get overtaken by weedsd -- plus our water district is forever limiting days of watering yards. S-o-o-o we decided to paver stone as much of the back and front yards as possible to keep down weeds and conserve water.

FRONT YARD WEEDS took over the grass lawn every year and we won't use weed killer around our pets!
DSCN7895.JPG

There's NO WAY 3 to 4 pet chickens could keep down these front yard weeds although they did have fun trying!!!
DSCN7906.JPG

DSCN7907.JPG

Our solution was to paver stone the front yard and cover the lawn as much as possible. We chose to use paver squares rather than a solid concrete patio because there are water and gas lines below ground so paver stones are easily lifted and re-positioned afterwards for line access in future; whereas a solid concrete patio would get badly torn up and expensive to replace.

FRONT YARD work still in progress.
DSCN0380.JPG

DSCN0385.JPG

DSCN0424.JPG

FRONT YARD GARAGE WALL along front walkway to front door is paver-stoned and used as additional gardening bed -- NO MORE HORRENDOUS WEED PROBLEMS.
DSCN0326.JPG

DSCN0325.JPG

BACK YARD "people" patio has roofed concrete patios/walkways with the rest paver-stoned along with two raised garden beds made out of pavers too. Pop-up canopies are on the "chicken" side. People & chicken yards are separated by 4-ft wire fencing.
DSCN0287.JPG

Even some of the "chicken" yard has been paver-stoned keeping our homemade chicken seed bottles cleaner.
DSCN0282.JPG

Since we started using paver stones in our yard several neighbors have picked up the idea to keep down unwanted vegetation/weeds. Pavers squares work better than mulch or bark for keeping down weeds. Bark and mulch get blown away in our Santa Ana Winds climate whereas stones don't blow away LOL!

As an added note -- I would not recommend paver stones for snowy or icey climates since the porous stones will soak up water, expand/contract in temperature changes, become brittle and deteriorate or crack from the drastic temp variances. For our sunny mild So Calif climate that never reaches freezing our stones have weathered nicely for over 12 years now.

As an update the mystery plant actually had a few yellow flowers this weekend. I have also reached out to the NC Botanical Garden for ID purposes but will attach six photos taken yesterday. It is a lovely plant.
That’s definitely Abutilon theophrasti/ Velvetleaf. They are lovely plants- but depending on where you live, they are considered an invasive species. Yours looks very well- behaved 😀

That’s definitely Abutilon theophrasti/ Velvetleaf. They are lovely plants- but depending on where you live, they are considered an invasive species. Yours looks very well- behaved 😀
Thanks so much. Will delve deeper into it now that I know what it is. I am 60 and had never seen one before. It is providing the chickens some nice shade. In fact they have dug out a hole about a foot deep in the dirt in its shade.

Thanks so much. Will delve deeper into it now that I know what it is. I am 60 and had never seen one before. It is providing the chickens some nice shade. In fact they have dug out a hole about a foot deep in the dirt in its shade.
As an update and in delving into the plant a bit further, the Abutilon Theophrasti (Velvetleaf) originated in Southeast Asia and appears to have been in North America since around 1750. Its seeds and leaves have been used as a herbal medicine for centuries [Treatment of eye problems – cataracts, reduces fever, reduces diarrhea, improves urinary function, improves bowel function, acts as an astringent (sanitary aid for cuts and bruises), pain killer (inflammation and swelling)]. Its fibers can also be used in making ropes. Unfortunately and as was noted by MgnRose, some states in the western US consider it to be an invasive, noxious weed for its potential impact on agricultural concerns, primarily soybeans and corn. But it sure is a beautiful plant.

As an update and in delving into the plant a bit further, the Abutilon Theophrasti (Velvetleaf) originated in Southeast Asia and appears to have been in North America since around 1750. Its seeds and leaves have been used as a herbal medicine for centuries [Treatment of eye problems – cataracts, reduces fever, reduces diarrhea, improves urinary function, improves bowel function, acts as an astringent (sanitary aid for cuts and bruises), pain killer (inflammation and swelling)]. Its fibers can also be used in making ropes. Unfortunately and as was noted by MgnRose, some states in the western US consider it to be an invasive, noxious weed for its potential impact on agricultural concerns, primarily soybeans and corn. But it sure is a beautiful plant.
It’s also worthy to note that it is toxic to livestock- in my experience, chickens are pretty good about steering clear of toxic plants.

It’s also worthy to note that it is toxic to livestock- in my experience, chickens are pretty good about steering clear of toxic plants.
Glad to know that as I have avoided giving my chickens any of the leaves since I didn't know what the plant was until you kindly informed me. What about the seeds because I would think they have already made it into the pen that contain ten mixed large breed hens and a hateful Black Australorp rooster that I call El Diablo. On second thought I may give him some of the leaves...

Glad to know that as I have avoided giving my chickens any of the leaves since I didn't know what the plant was until you kindly informed me. What about the seeds because I would think they have already made it into the pen that contain ten mixed large breed hens and a hateful Black Australorp rooster that I call El Diablo. On second thought I may give him some of the leaves...
It’s interesting that there isn’t a lot of information I can find regarding toxicity of certain parts of the plant, other than it being listed as toxic to livestock 🤔

After reading about Velvetleaf I sure wouldn't hesitate to get that invasive weed pulled out immediately. There are plenty of other "friendlier" plants to use as shade rather than this horrible plant. So nice that you posted the description of the mystery plant.

Back
Top Bottom