Plants for Shade

Pics
After reading about Velvetleaf I sure wouldn't hesitate to get that invasive weed pulled out immediately. There are plenty of other "friendlier" plants to use as shade rather than this horrible plant. So nice that you posted the description of the mystery plant.
Of course! As a landscape designer who is passionate about using natives and keeping noxious plants at bay, sharing info is important! That being said, people can obviously make up their own minds on what to grow on their properties- it’s just important for homeowners to have the information to make an informed decision.

What about Star Jasmine for shade?
"Jazmin Estrella" technical name.
It's a vine that grows as well as covers.
I have one that has outgrown its pot and thought it might be good to use as shade and protection for the chickens!
Yall know about this vine if it is ok or not. I've seen mixed info online.

@laneaj

I love the smell of Star Jasmine in the cool evenings but after reading about Jasmine I decided not to have it in the yard near our girls -- that's just me. Maybe keep your Star Jasmine pruned back in its container and find some other non-toxic plant for chicken shade.

JASMINE (Cestrum spp.); fruit, sap; gastrointestinal tract affected by solanine glycoalkaloids; nervous system affected by atropine-like toxins.

We planted a couple Pomegranate trees and one Meyer Lemon Dwarf in the chicken yard and this morning the Ariana Pomegranate tree shielded our girls from the Cooper's Hawk after sounding their alarm. The Pomegranate trees are near the block wall so our hens hid behind the first tree next to the wall.
DSCN7259.JPG

DSCN8160.JPG

Today the Pomegranate trees are very big and we put a walking bridge between the two Pomegranate trees. Sometimes the hens sit underneath the bridge too.
DSCN7684.JPG

We encircled the trees with bricks and 2-foot rabbit fencing to keep the hens from digging up the tree roots and the Pomegranate leaves are not toxic plus we get to enjoy fruit from the trees while they provide summer shade for the hens.

I really, really did read a bunch of other posts for answers before posting this, but nothing seems to quite fit my situation.

I am building a near-chicken utopia on my property. They'll have about 1000 sq ft of chicken pasture in an area we cleared in our woods. But because it's been cleared, there are no shade trees for them, and it gets very hot here in the summer. The pasture will be covered with heavy-duty bird netting (because hawks).

I need to add shade, so I'm planning on adding shrubs and shade cloth in some areas, but I'd like small trees that can create a canopy if sorts as well as visual interest. But since the area will be covered, I need something that will stay relatively short - like 4-5 feet tall.

I thought about butterfly bush, but the ones I have now are about 8 ft tall and need constant cutting back. I'd prefer something a little lower maintenance, if at all possible. I'm leaning Mexican sage, but those can get tall, too. And something broad-leafed would be ideal. There's gotta be something out there. I'm just drawing blanks right now...

Any ideas? We're in hardiness zone 9a.

TIA
THIS is where I am now- my garden using oleanders and shader to keep me from little drizzle while I also have a futon here which I use as a bed 🛏 to enjoy stary nights and cooler weather. My fave chick is with me, of course
Mulberry. Broadleaf. They don't get too tall and chickens love the fruit. You can even use the leaves to feed silk worms
mulberry
THIS is where I am now- my garden using oleanders and shader to keep me from little drizzle while I also have a futon here which I use as a bed 🛏 to enjoy stary nights and cooler weather. My fave chick is with me, of course

Attachments

• 31A018FE-68D6-4E46-933A-B16915CDC876.jpeg
    31A018FE-68D6-4E46-933A-B16915CDC876.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 2

mulberry
I have added stairs for my pets who like to hang out around the pond and in it- for second entry to the house if the patio is closed. I have pines between their coops. The oleanders+palms+shaders and sofas area is something like the official courtyard dining for them 😆

Attachments

• 19715EBC-2F95-4FE0-823C-89CFF297C609.jpeg
    19715EBC-2F95-4FE0-823C-89CFF297C609.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I have added stairs for my pets who like to hang out around the pond and in it- for second entry to the house if the patio is closed. I have pines between their coops. The oleanders+palms+shaders and sofas area is something like the official courtyard dining for them 😆
Looking back at it it’s like I made it for my kids lol not just utopia but that special care.. oh Loort you keep surprising me About what you deposited in me...

Attachments

• 663217FB-17DA-4B17-B9AF-06F6A349CC4B.jpeg
    663217FB-17DA-4B17-B9AF-06F6A349CC4B.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 1
  • AA4678A9-5960-4B47-9F13-4609C08D2215.jpeg
    AA4678A9-5960-4B47-9F13-4609C08D2215.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 1
Oleander is very poisonous to humans, pets, wildlife, poultry, etc. Because of that many over the past years have pulled them or stopped using the bushes as shade, hedges, or water shed planting out here. Oleander is definitely a no-no.

Back
Top Bottom