Plants In The Chicken Run! A Mini Forest For Chickens!

Mine ate the leaves off my big butterfly bush & broke branches even after I wrapped chicken wire all around it. Now everything goes outside the run. lol I love the photo of the chickens with the sagebrush!
It's funny how different flocks have different tastes! Mine take one peck at the butterfly bush, then proceed to spit the piece out and wipe their beak and walk away. Ever since I planted a bunch of those sagebrushes under the coop, they've been obsessed with that area. They take naps, preen, rest, and dust bathe in their little jungle under the coop.

I have grapevines growing outside the run and raspberries on one end.I have a big patch growing about 20 ft from the run.My green house is right beside them.I'm growing veggies in an aquaponic tower garden this year and feeding them fresh greens from it !
That sounds awesome! I bet they love all those fresh greens! I made sure to grow lots of extra ones in my garden for them as well haha! I want to try and grow some grapevines up the run to provide some shade, except I want to grow it from the inside because the squirrels and wild birds are relentless with any type of food growing.

That sounds awesome! I bet they love all those fresh greens! I made sure to grow lots of extra ones in my garden for them as well haha! I want to try and grow some grapevines up the run to provide some shade, except I want to grow it from the inside because the squirrels and wild birds are relentless with any type of food growing.
My grapevine had a few grapes on it last year.First time since I planted it. This year it has a lot more grapes but its got black spot.

Added 2 new plants in the chicken run! Another blueberry and a Mexican bush sage. I don’t even have to cage the Mexican bush sage because the chickens took one tiny bite of it and spit it out lol. I definitely recommend plants in the sage family. They’re nice because theres some that are good for warm climates and some that can handle freezing temps. This one should get nice and bushy and provide some shade for the chickens!
944524D7-3776-45E5-A7F1-A5E93A3604F6.jpeg

When we built our coop 7 yrs ago, it was in a grassy barn lot, no other plants whatsoever.
coop1.jpg
Weeds grew in the 25‘ X 30’ run behind it, and thrived in rainy years, but as we got more chickens, up to 13, and had a couple years of drought, run weeds.jpg all the plants disappeared.....except the volunteer Siberian Elm seedlings from the trees in the background. These things grew in and around the run at an amazing rate, and it is completely shaded today. Photo below is from the same angle as the first one. You can't even see the coop. It is marvelous for the
coop 2019.jpg
chickens, (but if you are considering it, be forewarned, this is an invasive tree. Its seedlings are everywhere, and we are constantly cutting down the little ones in gardens, lawns, fencerows.)
The chicken habitat is now a little elm forest.
C5174914-455D-4783-9DC3-77AD66882F3E.jpeg
And every tree is less than 7 yrs old.
48AB320F-9DAF-4554-93CF-418FC35A029B.jpeg

Last edited:
We also have an extended area fenced off behind the main run, I think it’s 12 X 40. I don’t let the chickens into it every day. In fact, during the heat and drought this year, they only get to go in after it rains, and then only for one or two days. There’s a lot of chickweed, which they love, some grasses and henbit. It’s my version of rotational grazing.
CEEF4EA0-F019-4324-82B6-C9B5026873B4.jpeg

When we built our coop 7 yrs ago, it was in a grassy barn lot, no other plants whatsoever.
View attachment 3235814
Weeds grew in the 25‘ X 30’ run behind it, and thrived in rainy years, but as we got more chickens, up to 13, and had a couple years of drought, View attachment 3235815all the plants disappeared.....except the volunteer Siberian Elm seedlings from the trees in the background. These things grew in and around the run at an amazing rate, and it is completely shaded today. Photo below is from the same angle as the first one. You can't even see the coop. It is marvelous for the
View attachment 3235813
chickens, (but if you are considering it, be forewarned, this is an invasive tree. Its seedlings are everywhere, and we are constantly cutting down the little ones in gardens, lawns, fencerows.)
The chicken habitat is now a little elm forest.
View attachment 3235854
And every tree is less than 7 yrs old.
View attachment 3235856
Love it! It looks awesome and I’m sure the chickens really enjoy those trees! An awesome place to spend the summer too, lots of natural shade for them!

The problem I see with vegetation in a permanent yard is nutrient imbalance, particularly with laying hens which require supplemental calcium inputs in their rations and/or free choice. The ph and phosphorus/nitrogen will, over time, climb to levels where a narrower range of plants and trees will thrive- hence the Siberian elm, a notorious invader. Blueberries in the medium/long term may not thrive. Peach trees are heavy feeders and assuming suitable loamy soils, a better bet up to a point. Would be interested in hearing how others have managed for this?

I thought I would create a thread to share some plants with you all that thrive and survive in my chicken run/yard! You can also post pictures or tell us what plants you have in your chicken run/yard! Right now the run is 24'x24' with 13 chickens (44 sq ft each with 6 of them being tiny bantams). I will be expanding it another 32 feet, so the new total run will be 24'x56'. I wanted more room to plant fruit trees and other edible shrubs, and of course more chickens! I do not free range because in my area I have nesting hawks and eagles, roaming large dogs, and daytime coyotes. I didn't want my chickens to live in a barren run all of their lives so I made it my mission to give them the free range experience in a protected yard. I do the deep litter system in the run with wood chips, straw, leaves, pine needles and other organic matter. This system creates healthy soil for the plants and attracts insects for the chickens. I also thought it would be a good idea to grow all of my berries in the run since it's much easier to protect them from chickens rather than trying to battle the birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer and other critters for them. This has worked out great! My plants are still very young, only planted a few months ago. However, I have used some of these same plants and tips in my old chicken run and they got very large and healthy! I will definitely update this thread with more pictures once the plants get even bigger. I also have some grazing boxes for my chickens to get some greens, and I grow some in my garden for them. Even if they free ranged there would be no greens for them, I pretty much live in the high desert which is void of grass and actually good weeds that aren't goatheads or toxic.
I love this article that also lists some plants that do good in chicken runs! https://treatsforchickens.com/blogs...nts-that-thrive-and-survive-in-my-chicken-run

Some tips to ensure the survival of plants in the run:
Protect plants with a wire cage until they are about 2-3 feet tall
Cover the base of the plant with large rocks to protect the roots
Plant very densely, 10 plants will do much better with chickens than one lone plant
Have enough sq ft per chicken
Plant different kinds of things like herbs, native shrubs, small trees, vining/climbing plants, etc

Some plants that I find do really really well are California natives (being that I live in California) and other drought tolerant plants. Natives from your home state should do very well in a run too (just make sure they're not toxic).

Natives and non-native drought tolerant plants I have in the run:
Big sagebrush (I planted about 10 of these)
Eve case coffee berry
Hummingbird sage
Compact texas sage (Plants in the sage family tend to do well in chicken runs)
California mountain lilac
California wild rose
Butterfly bush (buddelia)

Non-native edible plants I have in the run:
4 blueberry bushes
2 bush style rosemary’s
English lavender
Lots of mint
Apple tree (a second one will be added in the run extension)
Dwarf nectarine

My wall of berries... I have boysenberries, blackberries, fall gold raspberries, and red raspberries
View attachment 3201089

I plan to add a couple more fruit trees to the run once it's extended. I also want to add some grapes to climb up the inside of the walls. Climbing roses would also be cool because they're pretty and the chickens can eat the rose hips that come from them. I'll edit this to add some pictures once I get around to taking some more! If you have any plants that I didn't mention that thrive in your chicken run/yard, then please share them below! :)
this is amazing! love seeing western natives! so different from the northeast :) I hope to do something like this in my extended run… eventually. weedy is good. thanks for sharing, keep us posted as you get into the next growing season!

Back
Top Bottom