Plants In The Chicken Run! A Mini Forest For Chickens!

Im starting greens in my run and wanted to try this so this is very helpful thank you so much! Look forward to updates.:drool
You're welcome! Your chickens will absolutely love some plants in their run! I can't wait until mine get larger so they can provide lots of natural shade. In my old run my chickens spent all summer under a huge rosemary bush and peach tree.

Wow, I want to be a chicken in your run. That is a beautiful place to live. Lucky girls!
Haha thank you very much!! I definitely try and give them lots of entertainment and beauty in the run since that's pretty much their whole world! I can't wait to expand it and add some more plants!

Are there anythings that are toxic to chickens that we should NOT plant in their run???
Theres some lists online of the more well known toxic plants for chickens. Native plants aren't usually listed so I do some research on them to see if they are classified as toxic to other animals. For example California poppy and Mountain Lupine are both classified as toxic so I do not add them to the run. The coffeeberry and its fruit are listed as non-toxic, and many species of birds and mammals eat the berries.

I tried what you're doing and found I had to have a huge amount of room for all the fencing that went around the plants to keep them from eating it.I had to move my butterfly bush and it still died.
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. My chickens are super picky so they don't tend to eat the plants I add and only pick at them every once in a while. Except the berry plant leaves, which is why they're along the wall with a fence! I know for a fact that they'll eat the blueberry bush leaves, which is why the fence wont come off of those until they're over 5 ft tall!

Super cool, good job! My run includes several mature trees (2x plum, 1x lemon, 1x scrubby native tree and 1x something i dont know) and shrubs already so they were big enough before the chickens got in there. I love the idea of growing a rosemary bush in the run.
Sounds awesome! I bet they love the shrubs and trees! The chickens love hanging around the rosemary! Mine hate rosemary so they don't eat it, they just prefer to sit around it and under it!

Thank you. I'll definitely be updating the thread with some more pictures of the plants as they grow and any additional ones that I add.
Mine ate the leaves off my big butterfly bush & broke branches even after I wrapped chicken wire all around it. Now everything goes outside the run. lol I love the photo of the chickens with the sagebrush!

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. My chickens are super picky so they don't tend to eat the plants I add and only pick at them every once in a while. Except the berry plant leaves, which is why they're along the wall with a fence! I know for a fact that they'll eat the blueberry bush leaves, which is why the fence wont come off of those until they're over 5 ft tall!
I have grapevines growing outside the run and raspberries on one end.I have a big patch growing about 20 ft from the run.My green house is right beside them.I'm growing veggies in an aquaponic tower garden this year and feeding them fresh greens from it !

Back
Top Bottom