Plants safe forMy Ducks and Garden Bantams?

joer77

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Dayton Ohio
I have a pair of Khaki Campbell , one Rouen drake and three Ducks. I am getting ready to put in a nice size pond and new pen. I also would like to put some bantam chicken in this area. My concern is there are many plants in the area I wish the place their pen. Not wanting to poison or make my friend sick. Is there a list of plant that I can look up.
My plants in area;
Red Bud tree
Weeping Crabapple tree
Sumac tree (monkey tree)
Rose Bush
Yucca
Sea Oats Grass
Honeysuckle
Old Fashion Orange Lilies
Phlox
Mums
Hibiscus
Lemon balm
Mint
Vinca
Poison Ivy Will be removed LOL
I know that I am moving some of the flowering plant, but not sure I will get all of their starts out of area. Can anyone help me know which one I really have to
eliminate out of their pond area? Thanks Joe

This is a good question, and not that easy to answer quickly because the encyclopedia of safe plants has not been written, to my knowledge…..

I can tell you that lemon balm and mint are fine and poison ivy is only a concern here because they can get the oil on their feathers and if an allergic person pets them, well, that's a problem. But I'm not allergic.

Vinca has been fine here.

Rose is only a worry due to thorns, but my ducks have gone through thorny thickets unscathed.

Red bud pods - I don't know, I have read some articles that certain legumes are not good for ducks - needs some more research.

Back
Top Bottom