Plants to use...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KaityKatt26, Aug 3, 2010.

1. KaityKatt26

KaityKatt26 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    We are building a 40ft run and are about to run the wire around it this weekend! We have a shade tree but it is getting removed. Its sending shoots all over my yard and it is actually the neighbor's tree that he admits to planting but won't do anything about it or the bamboo shoots that are creeping towards my well. Sometimes I love neighbors! [​IMG] So here is my question, what would be some good plants to put in the yard that the chickens will be safe around, afford them natural shade, wind block, and they won't eat/grows fast enough if they eat it. We are going to put a climbing vine on the outside of the yard (thinking jasmine/honeysuckle) so to please the neighbor and offer us some privacy. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Actually, bamboo is great! It grows fast, provides shade and cover for the chickens, it's not toxic, and it stays green and leafed year around without watering. If it comes up somewhere you don't want it in the spring, just cut it off at ground level and that will be that until next spring.

We love our bamboo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by