Plants/vine to shade run ?

Trumpet vine would cover in one season, dies back in winter. Is beautiful - that's what I am gong to use, also giant sunflowers; then we will have the seed in winter.

Trumpet vine is like Kudzu, once you get it you can't get rid of it!!

I've tried wysteria. They ate it, twice.

I've tired gourds. They ate those too.

Only thing I have gotten to grow is morning glories, they jump up to eat the flowers and seeds which I've been told are poisonous.(I haven't lost a chicken yet , it's been 2 years)

Only problem I have with the morning glories is that 2 of the girls have figured how to jump into it and eventually use it to climb up and over the fence. stupid chickens!!

My vote on this would have to be climbing hydrangea. That is what I am planning on planting on the west side of my run...it can develop into quite a beast, though you can cut it back if necessary. Whitish-green flowers in the summertime. Hardy up here in the north...

I'm planning to do this next year. I'll make a second welded wire fence on the outside of my coop (about 8" away) on the side where I want the shade. Then I'll plant a mix of peas and beans along the outside fence, to let them climb up the welded wire. Peas can be planted early, grow quickly, and are full height by the time the sun gets hot. They die back mid-summer where I am, and by then the beans will be big enough to take over the shade function.

If you don't want peas/beans, I think sweet pea (flower) and morning glories would be similar. You could also use a perennial vine - I'm not a flowers person, though, so I'm always scheming on space for more veggies!!

Quote:
I beg to differ. I'd say SMART chickens
lau.gif

We have our coop under a fast growing silver maple. Shade in the summer, no shade in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom