Plants you can plant around the run + a few starting pics of coop.

Mint???!!! What an awesome idea! I didn't think of that!
bow.gif

I'm planning on planting marigolds around the fence, and sunflowers. I know sunflowers aren't known for being fragrant, but I LOVE sunflowers!

I love the honeysuckle idea, too.

And be careful with the butterfly bushes, specifically the butterflies. Correct me if I'm wrong here folks, but are some butterflies and moths poisonous to birds?

I live in the city so I have neighbors next door. Anyways the run is about 2-4 feet away from the fence line, so I want to plant some sort of bushes directly around the run just be kind to my neighbors etc. I don't want them being bothered or smelling poop etc (although we have neighbors with dogs - who don't clean up the poop - which smells 10X worse than chickens in my opinion... But we all know how people feel about chickens. Our town doesn't say chickens are okay, but they go by as long as no one complains about them they look the other way). What type of bush or plant would be a good idea? suggestions?

I dont know much about plants that will overpower chicken smell, so I won't go there. I'm sure they exist, but how about a two pronged approach? How about you add this notion to your floral Odor Abatement Program:

Keep Fewer Chickens.

Chickens do not HAVE to be stinky. When they are, it is our own fault, either through laziness or overcrowding. That space appears to be about 4 X 8, give or take. At 32 sq. ft, that is hardly enough space for more than a few chickens. I would suggest no more than four, and in my opinion thats pushing it.

If you already know this and plan to keep the numbers that low, then do this:

- Fill the run with a litter of mulch. Go to the nearby landscape supply and get enough to make a layer 4" deep. While you're there get a bag of agircultural lime.
- Once a week, spread a generous handful of lime on the litter and rake it in. Spread it around real good, disturbing the surface layer.
- Replace the litter every 6 months and move the chicken pen once a year.

=============================================

Stop the odor at the source and you will have much less of an issue.

Last edited:
I live in ohio and here honeysuckle is our horribly invasive plant. Make sure you check with your state to make sure there isn't a minimum purchase of chicks. In ohio it is minimum 6 at most places you can still find locals and some mom and pop places that will do less. GL

We have raspberries on the side. I'm hoping it will be a treat for them and keep the nosy neighbours away from the coop because of the pricklies.

Im going to be planting mint and grapes outside the run with some veggies planted inside the run with a cage overtop of them so the girls can only eat what grows outside the cage . mint is very intrusive but I plan on putting in inside pots and sinking the pots into the ground so to keep it in its place , my grape vines I will let grow overtop the run ( don't worry we are building it very strong with extra posts for support ) so the girls can eat some and we will have the ones on the outside
big_smile.png

granted the run is not finished yet , ( will be working more on it this weekend ) but the plants I already have will just be moveing them ,

You might want to check out flocks they are very fragrant and grow fairly tall.

Back
Top Bottom