Plants you can plant around the run + a few starting pics of coop.

starless825

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Portland area
I live in the city so I have neighbors next door. Anyways the run is about 2-4 feet away from the fence line, so I want to plant some sort of bushes directly around the run just be kind to my neighbors etc. I don't want them being bothered or smelling poop etc (although we have neighbors with dogs - who don't clean up the poop - which smells 10X worse than chickens in my opinion... But we all know how people feel about chickens. Our town doesn't say chickens are okay, but they go by as long as no one complains about them they look the other way). What type of bush or plant would be a good idea? suggestions?

Also for our coop we are turning an old shed used for rabbits/guinea pigs into a chicken coop. It already has a run, but the run is on cement and we figured the chickens would rather have dirt/grass so we're doing to cut a hole in back wall and have a run that goes out into some dirt/grass.

24l92dk.jpg

2wel095.jpg

4vssuw.jpg

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What state do you live in? I ask only because it will help us to help you decide what type of plantings will work best for you.

We went our property so I haven't done any permant type planting around our main run but I do plant peas, tomatoes, green beans, sunflowers and various kitchen herbs along the south side of our main run.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

You should get a plant with a strong fragrance if you're worried about the smell. Butterfly Bushes smell amazing, and they're very strong. Don't know if they grow in your area though.

I live in Oregon. Mild-ish winters (though this past year was crazy!) and lots of rain!

Thanks for the suggestions every one!

Last edited:
Evergreen shrubs are great. they will not eat them.. Any type of bush that stays green all year round is worth a try...
I have lilacs also but they jump up and eat leaves off of them...

I was thinking about butterfly bushes to border mine. they come in lots of different colors and are just beautiful especially covered in butterflies....

I read somewhere that clematis is toxic to them. Just be sure to double check all the plants you put with them.
smile.png

Butterfly bushes are pretty and attract butterflies, but are an invasive problem in Oregon because they are such quick growing/spreading plants and they choke out natives along the waterways. You are not supposed to even put their clippings in the green waste recycle. But they still sell it everywhere and no one would say boo to you for planting it, but it is a problem.

I love honey suckle, my jasmine smells good but doesn't thrive unless it's planted against a wall to retain heat and stop breezes circulating and cooling the plant. I planted mint inside the run. Normally invasive but I figured the ladies will eat it back as fast as it can grow.

Back
Top Bottom