Plants for in a run

debbaxara

Hatching
Jul 8, 2023
Hello! Thanks for looking.
We have a lot of chickens, and are building a new coop/run for them. As you can see the run has two sections- the one closest to the coop will be covered and the one with the diagonal side will be open with a high fence.

I’m looking for suggestions for what you would plant in the open part of the run that would give them shade, things to eat, some plants that won’t get destroyed etc. right now it is just grass in full sun. The bottom of the picture is south.

I really appreciate your suggestions and your time.
IMG_4958.jpeg

Probably all plants will be destroyed. They'll eventually dig them up.

Maybe one of those big rubber circle tree-mat mulch-mats would protect a young tree.

Or you could plant trees on the other side of the fence. Evidently chickens like to eat the seeds of Siberian Pea Shrub. I imagine they enjoy hackberries, crabapples and mulberries. About where are you?

Probably the chickens would like it best if you plant all around with various good 'trap crops' (like planting forage radishes so the beetles attack those and leave your cabbages alone) that will attract grasshoppers.

If you do pinterest - search "plants in chicken runs". Google, too. Lots of hardy shrubs, plants, fruit trees that can go in the run(s) & also on the outside, based on your zone/state.

Seeds & young plants need to be protected while starting & until established (maybe roots, forever - but our chickens haven't torn up our roses or other bushes when free ranging in small areas).

There are many YouTube videos, too. Sean w/ Edible Acres has several things he's done in NY to grow plants in chicken areas. Also - Parkrose Permaculture - west coast. Permaculture Homestead in SC.

I'm working on mine. Will try to do an article next spring about what I'm trying...

Back
Top Bottom