Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Cover with metal

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Cover with clear poly

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
I'd use a combo of wire mesh over part of the run and corrugated metal over the other part.

Why not polycarbonate? I've read it can be broken by hail.

If it's not too late: if the summers are very hot where you live, think about shaded breezeways.

Last edited:
We are in the process of building the run on our second coop. We are completely covering the run with 1/2 inch hardware mesh. On our first coop and run, we did the same thing - but then covered the entire run with metal and tarps.
We are going to remove the tarps and cover the new run either Corrugated metal, Clear Polycarbonate Roof Panel, or just leave the mesh uncovered. We are debating on what is best for us AND our flock. We are going to cover the area over the pop door with metal for shade (about 16 ft by 8ft). And they have a 16ft x 8ft in the other connected run of the same. The combined run footprint will be about 600 sq foot for 34 birds. What should we cover the rest with?

1. Clear Poly
    1. Pros of covering with clear poly:
      • Let sun in, but block UV
      • keep rain out so no puddles (lower coccidiosis chances)
      • leaves won't gather, but will blow off.
      • Can put plants in the run
    2. Cons of covering in clear poly:
      • will have to manually water any plants
      • will have to clean anything that rain cannot clean
      • If the leaves don't blow off, they will be visible through and look unsightly - and harder to blow off if you cannot walk on the poly.
  2. Corrugated metal:
    1. Pros
      • Completely shade the run to keep it cooler
      • keep rain out so no puddles (lower coccidiosis chances)
      • leaves won't gather, but will blow off into the woods
      • Fallen leaves are not visible on roof
    2. Cons:
      • cannot plant most plants inside the run (not enough light)
      • will have to clean anything that rain cannot clean
  3. Leave the mesh uncovered
    1. Pros
      • Lets sunlight in
      • can plant inside the run
      • lets rain in to clean and water plants
    2. Cons
      • Unshaded parts with no UV protection
      • Leaves may gather on the mesh and need to be blown off
      • increased coccidiosis risk from puddles
I have attached a couple of photos of what we have so far on the new run. We are in the middle of the woods and have lots of leaves, especially in the fall. We are in Florida, so it gets quite hot in the summers, as well. Shade is necessary, but how much? Chickens also need sun, right? Are we over-worried about coccidiosis on this?
What kind of plants do chickens not eat that you want to put in the run? Mine eat almost anything they can get their beaks on!

They seem to leave Rosemary bushes alone pretty well. Beauty Berry is safe as well and they typically only eat the berries. I was also thinking confederate jasmine.
What kind of plants do chickens not eat that you want to put in the run? Mine eat almost anything they can get their beaks on!

My run is 16 feet long and 8 feet wide. 8x8 section closet to the coop is covered with metal roofing. Water runs off beautifully. I bought 4, 8ft sheets at Home Depot for just a hair under 20 bucks each. They work great. Right in the middle of the covered section I have an outdoor roost that they love to sit on. The sides of the covered section are temporarily blocked with cut sections of tarp to help with wind blockage and sideways rain.

Portuguese Laurel and probably many more plants. The berry bushes only need protection when they are young.

If the soil is not moist or wet from time to time you can’t grow anything in the run. The benefits of bushes in the run are great. It gives the chickens a more natural environment. The soil in my run is alive with earthworms and small bugs. They break down the chicken poo. I only take away the large poop when the topsoil is dry for several days. Adding leaves and shredded wood from pruning keeps the soil healthy.
IMG_3408.jpeg

My run is a giant composting area. I give the chickens leaves in the fall, weeds from the garden, and kitchen scraps. If the ground is too dry, compost doesn't happen.

There are times when we don't get enough rain, like last spring, for about 6 weeks. Rain does come into the run from the west if it rains hard enough. If the ground gets too dry in there, I dump their waterers out in the run when I lock up at night.

I have no issues with drainage, so there are rarely any puddles. If there are, they are small, and they last an hour past the end of the rainfall, at the most.

I'd use a combo of wire mesh over part of the run and corrugated metal over the other part.

Why not polycarbonate? I've read it can be broken by hail.

If it's not too late: if the summers are very hot where you live, think about shaded breezeways.
We have decided to do just this on the roof. How do you build a breezeway?

You have to create walled chutes (at chicken height) to aim the cool breeze at the chooks. So think about which way the breeze blows at your place before putting up the breezeway

You mean like a Chunnel? We have a large barn fan in their covered run. We live in the woods and the trees block most of our breeze unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom