Plants you can plant around the run + a few starting pics of coop.

Since we are talking about plants and toxins and the like, does anyone know if Castor Beans are toxic to any kind of feathered friend, as they grow huge and are such good shade providers and are actually quite pretty!

Hibiscus. Big, with a long blooming period. They could provide shade, and I haven't seen any chickens eating the fallen blossoms or bothering the leaves.

Has anyone mentioned amaranth and sunflower? They grow tall and provide shade, then when the season turns, they can provide welcome nourishment.

Also many of the woody perennial herbs are favorites in the chicken yard. Rosemary has already been mentioned. But there is also bay laurel, fennel, oregano, lovage, tarragon, lavender, catnip, etc.

Perhaps the thing to do is to try these as plantings in pots for a season, and see how they do. If the chickens leave them alone, then you can make them permanent.

Bamboo.
I planted some on the outside of the run on the west side.
I grows tall and thick and make great shade and stays green all winter.

My hens had the entire yard to peruse and they munched on both rosemary and mint. Now that we have their yard completed, we want to put some live bushes in there for shade. I had considered putting mint along the outside of their fence. Since they love it, do I need to worry if it will harm the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom