Plastic 5 Gallon Bucket - Heater Advice

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Still early I know, but I want to be prepared for when the time comes. I have a 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket with a Nipple in the bottom hanging in my run. Works great. Trying to think of ways to heat it this winter to avoid freezing. Would one of those Birdbath Heaters work? I have read some bad things here about using the Aquarium Heaters... I would love to hear how others using the same kind of watering setup have addressed this issue.
Thanks,
Steve

I don't know if they make tank deicers small enough for a 5 gal. bucket, but here's what I do--I bought one of those heated dog water bowls. I routed the cord out the side of the coop and plug it in (I do have electricity run to my barn already). Then I take a one gallon grape juice jug and drill two holes across from each other, about an inch up from the bottom. Fill it with water, screw the lid back on and stick it in the dog bowl. As the water level goes down, it lets more out of the jug.

I have a 2 gallon bucket that I throw a bird bath heater in. It works great.
thumbsup.gif

It's 250 Watt BDT250 bird bath heater (compact aluminum base) from API (Allied Precision Industries, Inc.). I didn't do any research on it, just grabbed it when I saw it on sale at the local home improvement store.

Back
Top Bottom