1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!
  1. COcountrygirl

COcountrygirl New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    Colorado
    Has anyone converted an outdoor kid’s playhouse into a coop?
    We have access to one and I'm wondering if it is feasible. We live in CO where it gets COLD in the winter and HOT in the summer. Please advise.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

I use a rubbermaid storage shed. But here in western Wa. we don't get the extreme temps that you do. I like it because it is so easy to clean. I had a neighbor using a small playhouse-didn't work so well because it was a complete wet poopy mess most of the time. Too small. She gave up on chickens after a few months. It was the best choice for the chickens- she didn't want to put in the effort to set them up properly. So I guess it depends on the rest of your set up. Can you keep it dry and clean?
    Imp

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    there are a whole big bunch of threads on playhouse conversions - use the 'search' utility in the blue banner above, and type in 'playhouse coop'. You will find lots of good advice and pics [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

4. COcountrygirl

COcountrygirl New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    Colorado
    I plan to put the house on a wooden base 18 inches above the ground, so I'm hoping that will keep the moisture to a minimum.
    Also, I'm wanting to use the deep litter method...is it possible with the playhouse?

5. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying to get one from my parents that my niece is much too big to play in. Not sure if it is like yours or not but, I would use it if it is like the one I'm thinking of because it is hollow in the middle and it would be conceivable to fill the walls with some type of insulation such as leaves, shredded newspaper or asking a friendly person from a local cooler plant to fill with expanding insulation. [​IMG]

I would have to modify this one of course because it doesn't have real windows only plastic cutout windows and the door doesn't cover the entire opening. Maybe some plastic dye spray paint because pink isn't hitting it.

I don't see why you couldn't use a deep litter method. Do you have a photo of the playhouse?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How many chickens do you want to have?

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]!

I suspect that the smaller the coop and the more moisture that would be trapped inside from plastic walls - the better it would be to have frequent cleanings with litter replaced by fresh, dry shavings.

Providing ventilation thru the walls rather than thru a plastic roof seems like a good idea so as to avoid leaks.

. . . just a couple of thoughts.

Steve

8. COcountrygirl

COcountrygirl New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the wise words! I want a max of 4 hens...no roos allowed in my city.

Any ideas on insulation in the walls of said house?

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What if you used some of that expanding foam stuff. Drill a hole in the side, squirt it in.

Let me know what you do about ventilation and moisture. I've got one sitting in the backyard I've wanted to make a coop out of but still haven't figured out how to make the windows curved

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by