Plastic covered run shows condensation

7F099F53-4DE1-417D-ADBA-7EF1A642A6D6.jpeg
CE892E3D-3771-4556-99BA-B0511D68C52F.jpeg
But the top only has hardware cloth n when it rains , the run gets so muddy and the water pools in places.
Should I add a roof to it with vents?
No something more like these so it’s venting up on the sides but top is covered. Sides covered but vented.

I would open up one side- my suggestion is to open the south side, but make sure you keep the side that the wind blows from covered up.
Yes, ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. While you want to avoid direct drafts, chickens need much less protection from the cold than one would think. The wet/humidity is a much bigger hazard to their health. And it will also lead to frostbite on combs, wattles, and feet/toes.

@chickens really THANK YOU!!! photos make much more sense.
Also, one more question. Should I add some kind of vent in the hen house where they sleep at night even though i have the door open at all times or should the vent you're showing in the photos work just fine?
Definitely a higher eves trough height vent is best as long as the roosts or animal is lower than the vents.

Hello again!
I have folded the side plastic down so the ventilation is definitely better now. Thanks you to you all. But I think there is another problem brewing here. I am using a deep litter method and I tried to turn the "litter" shavings and all in the run and I smelled ammonia. With the new ventilation, would it go away? I aired out the run before letting the chickens in again. Should I use wood ash on the run to keep the smell of ammonia down or fixing the ventilation will take care of the smell?
Also I noticed condensation on the make-shift roof of the run prior to folding down the plastic on the sides of the run.

Hello again!
I have folded the side plastic down so the ventilation is definitely better now. Thanks you to you all. But I think there is another problem brewing here. I am using a deep litter method and I tried to turn the "litter" shavings and all in the run and I smelled ammonia. With the new ventilation, would it go away? I aired out the run before letting the chickens in again. Should I use wood ash on the run to keep the smell of ammonia down or fixing the ventilation will take care of the smell?
Also I noticed condensation on the make-shift roof of the run prior to folding down the plastic on the sides of the run.
What are the ingredients of your 'deep litter'?
The 'deep litter' could be where your moisture is coming from.
Airing it out will help, but not 'cure' the root of the problem.
It won't compost in cold weather, better to get a lot of dry carbon in there...
...maybe even remove some of the stuff already in there first.

Back
Top Bottom