Plastic for Run

chickenthyme

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
NE Ohio
I know I asked this question last year but here I am again. Last year I bought transparent tarps from Grainger. I liked that they were actually transparent but that's where it stopped. SUPER heavy duty but to the point I could NOT manage it by myself and even was a super job with my husband helping plus being colder outside, they had NO give to them whatsoever!!

So here I am asking for suggestions again. Really would like something easy that I don't have to recreate to use. Thanks again!! 🐓🐓🐓

We used corrugated clear panels. They worked awesome, better ventilation with them than plastic we used before and we still have them to use this year, we took them down in the spring and store in the rafters of the shed.
B62CB761-DE6C-41B2-A433-D210B2EC43F3.jpeg
8132E5D5-EFDD-4770-AA86-A944504B21FC.jpeg

We used corrugated clear panels. They worked awesome, better ventilation with them than plastic we used before and we still have them to use this year, we took them down in the spring and store in the rafters of the shed. View attachment 2385758View attachment 2385759

I like this idea. I’ll need to try this next year. And it’s extra protection from predators! It‘s my first winter with chickens so I just covered 3 sides with clear shower curtains from the Dollar Tree. Not sure how well they will hold up but the girls seem warmer and it only cost me $3. Lol

We found some heavier/thicker plastic sheet in in a 10'x25' foot roll. After cutting to run length, i did have to roll all the edges in 1x2's to give us something to attach to the run (all metal, no wood) with zip ties. I also had to put something horizontally in the middle of the plastic, to help stop bellowing...we are in extreme wind area.

I used dollar store clear shower curtains last year. They are very thin, yet lasted all winter. Even left them up a little long to accommodate the brooder in the run. I will reuse the boards that held them up. So this year I need about 10 curtains $10 + tax.

I will look for a picture.

You can use plastic feed bags slit open to form sheets and fasten with zip ties. They are very durable and look cool too.

Back
Top Bottom