Plastic for Run

chickenthyme

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
NE Ohio
I know I asked this question last year but here I am again. Last year I bought transparent tarps from Grainger. I liked that they were actually transparent but that's where it stopped. SUPER heavy duty but to the point I could NOT manage it by myself and even was a super job with my husband helping plus being colder outside, they had NO give to them whatsoever!!

So here I am asking for suggestions again. Really would like something easy that I don't have to recreate to use. Thanks again!! 🐓🐓🐓

We used corrugated clear panels. They worked awesome, better ventilation with them than plastic we used before and we still have them to use this year, we took them down in the spring and store in the rafters of the shed.
B62CB761-DE6C-41B2-A433-D210B2EC43F3.jpeg
8132E5D5-EFDD-4770-AA86-A944504B21FC.jpeg

Here is a picture from our first winter prep. The plastic is not clear. It was 6 mil from Home Depot. Now I use dollar store shower curtains. They just make it through the winter. But are very clear. I use the same boards every year to fasten them. I have added some vertical boards to keep the plastic from flapping. There is plenty of fresh air, but they are well protected. Very little snow gets in.

Attachments

• 1604067462602.png
    1604067462602.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
I know I asked this question last year but here I am again. Last year I bought transparent tarps from Grainger. I liked that they were actually transparent but that's where it stopped. SUPER heavy duty but to the point I could NOT manage it by myself and even was a super job with my husband helping plus being colder outside, they had NO give to them whatsoever!!

So here I am asking for suggestions again. Really would like something easy that I don't have to recreate to use. Thanks again!! 🐓🐓🐓
I live in "the icebox of the nation " we are known to have the coldest weather in the continental United States. We wrap our runs in 6 mil poly sheeting that we buy large rolls of at the hardware store. I repurpose it in the spring and cover my cold frames. It is easy to work with and holds up well. I use lathe
IMG_3359.JPG

strips to fasten it on. This year it went even better because I had a system worked out.

I used dollar store clear shower curtains last year. They are very thin, yet lasted all winter. Even left them up a little long to accommodate the brooder in the run. I will reuse the boards that held them up. So this year I need about 10 curtains $10 + tax.

I will look for a picture.

I left a couple inches uncovered under the coop and about 5“ from the top of the run. Is there an advice amount of how much to cover the run with plastic?
Either you need more ventilation, or more bedding, or you have a moisture/drainage problem in your run.
Post pics, with info like dimensions and number of birds, and maybe we can help.

Back
Top Bottom