Problems with Plastic Scoop Shovels

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I bought a $17.00 YardWorks Poly Scoop Shovel at Menards a few years ago. It had a 15-year warranty. Looks like this...

1699606111438.png

What I liked about it was that the scoop is that it is flat, the shovel is very lightweight, and it has been my main shovel for cleaning out the chicken coop litter.

But it has proven to be a very bad built shovel. The plastic around the wood handle cracked last year, and I was able to return it to Menards for an exchange under the 15 year warranty. So, I got new shovel last year. But yesterday I noticed that the replacement shovel now is cracked all over the wood handle and even the scoop itself is now cracked. I think the plastic just cannot stand up to our freezing temps here in northern Minnesota.

:tongue Anyways, I will be returning it to Menards today to see if I can get an exchange. However, they don't sell that exact shovel anymore and their new YardWorks shovels don't come with any warranty listed online. So, I might be asking for a refund unless I can be assured that any new shovel will honor the original 15-year warranty. Somehow, I doubt they will honor the original warranty. But they might.

I found a similar plastic poly scoop shovel at Home Depot for $35.00, the Husky brand with Lifetime Warranty...

1699606697913.png

It's twice the price of the YardWorks shovel I bought at Menards 3 years ago, but at least it would still be the lightweight shovel that I like.

My other option is looking at some flat scoop shovels made out of aluminum. Home Depot sells an aluminum scoop shovel for $45.00 with a Lifetime Warranty...

1699606965455.png

I don't think I have ever had an aluminum shovel break on me. If it's not too heavy, that is probably the way I will go on the next shovel.

I really like the design of these flat scoop shovels for cleaning out the chicken coop litter, but this post is just to advise people that the plastic shovels might not last very long out in the cold winters like we have here in Minnesota. Unless you get a really good warranty that you know the store will stand behind, I would not recommend getting these plastic shovels - at least from YardWorks. They just don't hold up.

:old I am one of those guys that has a different shovel for different types of jobs. I just happen to prefer these flat scoop shovels for cleaning out my chicken coop litter. They also work great as a lightweight snow shovel for clearing off the walkways. If anyone has other suggestions on a good shovel for coop litter clean out, let me know what you use. I am open to suggestions before I make a new purchase. Thanks.

I have the Husky brand Poly shovel. I have been using it for 10 years and it is still in great shape.

I think mine has lasted so long because...
I don't do deep litter so not lifting anything super heavy, I store mine in the coop hanging in a corner, I clean once a week.

I have an aluminum one for other tasks. It does experience heavy lifting, is stored mostly inside my shop, gas been used to lift iceberg sized chunks of ice from the driveway, is still in great shape 12+ years.

I think both of those are good choices. Both are lightweight with the aluminum being a a bit heavier.

I have the Husky brand Poly shovel. I have been using it for 10 years and it is still in great shape.

That's good to know. Maybe the YardWorks shovel just uses an inferior plastic.

I think mine has lasted so long because...
I don't do deep litter so not lifting anything super heavy,

I don't lift anything super heavy with my plastic shovel. I think the plastic has cracked because of the freezing temps. Probably just a very poor plastic. I have other plastic stuff that does not crack in freezing temps. But I have gone through two YardWorks Poly Scoop Plastic Shovels in 3 years. Not a very good track record for that brand.

But I really do like the lightweight plastic shovels, so maybe the answer is just getting the Husky brand from Home Depot. Do they ever go on sale? I won't be cleaning out the chicken coop deep bedding litter again until next spring.

We don't have anything close to your level coldness, here in New Orleans. After hurricane Katrina we baught a big plastic, snow shovel for cleaning thousands of soggy books off the floor. Scooping up dry wall, pieces of wood, pictures, small furniture, etc. out of our house. We still own that shovel and continue to use it for various things. That's been over 20 years and we have not had a bit of trouble with it. I will have to check the brand.

I bought a $17.00 YardWorks Poly Scoop Shovel at Menards a few years ago. It had a 15-year warranty. Looks like this...

View attachment 3680241

What I liked about it was that the scoop is that it is flat, the shovel is very lightweight, and it has been my main shovel for cleaning out the chicken coop litter.

But it has proven to be a very bad built shovel. The plastic around the wood handle cracked last year, and I was able to return it to Menards for an exchange under the 15 year warranty. So, I got new shovel last year. But yesterday I noticed that the replacement shovel now is cracked all over the wood handle and even the scoop itself is now cracked. I think the plastic just cannot stand up to our freezing temps here in northern Minnesota.

:tongue Anyways, I will be returning it to Menards today to see if I can get an exchange. However, they don't sell that exact shovel anymore and their new YardWorks shovels don't come with any warranty listed online. So, I might be asking for a refund unless I can be assured that any new shovel will honor the original 15-year warranty. Somehow, I doubt they will honor the original warranty. But they might.

I found a similar plastic poly scoop shovel at Home Depot for $35.00, the Husky brand with Lifetime Warranty...

View attachment 3680244

It's twice the price of the YardWorks shovel I bought at Menards 3 years ago, but at least it would still be the lightweight shovel that I like.

My other option is looking at some flat scoop shovels made out of aluminum. Home Depot sells an aluminum scoop shovel for $45.00 with a Lifetime Warranty...

View attachment 3680245

I don't think I have ever had an aluminum shovel break on me. If it's not too heavy, that is probably the way I will go on the next shovel.

I really like the design of these flat scoop shovels for cleaning out the chicken coop litter, but this post is just to advise people that the plastic shovels might not last very long out in the cold winters like we have here in Minnesota. Unless you get a really good warranty that you know the store will stand behind, I would not recommend getting these plastic shovels - at least from YardWorks. They just don't hold up.

:old I am one of those guys that has a different shovel for different types of jobs. I just happen to prefer these flat scoop shovels for cleaning out my chicken coop litter. They also work great as a lightweight snow shovel for clearing off the walkways. If anyone has other suggestions on a good shovel for coop litter clean out, let me know what you use. I am open to suggestions before I make a new purchase. Thanks.
You could also check out Rural King. Anything I've ever gotten from there has always been high quality and as far as what I've seen made in the USA.

I have never seen them on sale honestly. I do really like my plastic one. I have a wood floor and it hasn't damaged it even after all the years of scraping across it.
It's worth the investment even at full price in my opinion.

Yep, I have linoleum on the floor of my chicken coop, which is why I prefer the plastic shovel. I am concerned about using my metal shovels on that linoleum because it would be easy to dig in and rip it up.

Even if I have to pay full price for a shovel from Home Depot, I can still take advantage of my 10% military discount. That helps.

We don't have anything close to your level coldness, here in New Orleans. After hurricane Katrina we baught a big plastic, snow shovel for cleaning thousands of soggy books off the floor. Scooping up dry wall, pieces of wood, pictures, small furniture, etc. out of our house. We still own that shovel and continue to use it for various things. That's been over 20 years and we have not had a bit of trouble with it. I will have to check the brand.

In theory, there should be nothing wrong with the plastic shovels. I'm thinking it may just be the YardWorks brand plastic shovel that is not very good. I have lots of other plastic products that have lasted years and years outside.

Back
Top Bottom