plastic nipples

thaokou21

Songster
13 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Arkansas
I was thinkin about get some water nipples. And what I wanted to know is, if the water inside my coop doesnt freeze during the cold winter. Then my water nipple should still work fine right. But what happens when the water freeze and unfreeze again(little ice with water mix) will my nipple still be frozen or what. Anyone with this expriences.

My plastic nipples have frozen when the temps in the coop reached 30 degrees F. They thaw out pretty quickly afterwards as long as there is enough heat from chicken bodies to keep the temp above freezing in the day. I bought a heat tape that goes inside water pipes from company called Klubertans to keep the nipples from freezing. It works like a charm. I even use one on my rabbit hutches and have had no freezing problems down to around 15 degrees. Any lower temperatures and I drain the watering system overnight. I bring out the water bottles during really cold periods until the cold snap is over.

Thanks for the info.

I lived in Wisconsin and last year I had 20 chicken to kept my coop warm, the water only freezed alittle on the top and the chicken were still able to get to the water. This year I double the size to 45. With that much chickens, they should produce more than enough heat to keep the nipple from freeze.

Back
Top Bottom