Plastic Shed suitable for new Hen House??

He doesnt pressure wash currently, we were only going to do that with a plastic shed that we could have dried out completely. For the wooden playhouse the chickens live in currently we use the mite powder, and mite solution sprayed into any cracks. We also dust the hens regularly.

The playhouse they are in currently is 5x5ft, technically big enough but I prefer my girls to have more than adequate space than just sufficient!
Wouldnt sheet metal sheds get horrifyingly hot in summer?? I hadn't even contemplated metal for that reason!

Sheet metal sheds, like any other type, will get hot if they're poorly ventilated. If they're ventilated properly, they're not any hotter than anything else.

What's your climate like? How bad are winters and summers?

Sheet metal sheds, like any other type, will get hot if they're poorly ventilated. If they're ventilated properly, they're not any hotter than anything else.

What's your climate like? How bad are winters and summers?
Disagree ......metal conducts heat faster than wood does...
.....and it's hard to add adequate ventilation to your typical metal shed.

I live in the Uk, so we rarely see summer temps past 30 degrees Celcius, but I would be constantly panicing having them in a metal shed in hotter weather. I understand ventilation is important, but I just wouldnt feel comfortable with them in metal. Reminds me of an oven lol!

I have personally always preferred wood. It seems more natural, easier to mess around with as far as modification is concerned and ultimately seems to stay the coolest in summer and warmest in winter!

Disagree ......metal conducts heat faster than wood does...
.....and it's hard to add adequate ventilation to your typical metal shed.
A typical metal shed uses standard 26-28"x8' siding/roofing panels. It's trivially easy to replace one with hardware cloth. It's trivially easy to replace one whole side of the building with hardware cloth if you want.

Conducting heat faster also means it cools down quicker when it's above ambient. There are plenty of people using them, and plenty of people using metal roofs on chicken coops. It's not a problem unless you seal the thing up.

Also, for the record - my barn is a 60x40 metal building - and during the day it's usually cooler than ambient (mostly because it sits on a cement pad and the ground is cool - but the fact that it's metal isn't an issue at all).

Last edited:
I am just curious what you have ended up doing. I am considering a plastic shed for my very first coop ever and would love the advice of an experienced person.

Hi guys,

My hens currently live in a wooden play-house. It has lasted a good 3 years (plus the time it was actually used as a kids playhouse) but is falling to pieces now. I am looking into getting a 6x6ft plastic shed and converting it appropriately into a chicken house, but I have a couple of questions first:

1) Are plastic sheds even suitable for use as a chicken house?

2) Would i need to add extra ventilation holes or would the ventilation grid at the top be sufficient?

3) Has anyone ever cut into the side panel of these plastic sheds to create a pop-hole, does it affect the integrity of the panel?

4) I plan on fixing brackets to the walls to lay perching poles in, would the plastic hold the weight sufficiently?

5) Would it be best to cut holes in the sides and attached nesting boxes or to just have nesting boxes inside the shed?

5) Would the temperature inside get too hot in the summer or too cold in winter (I live in UK, so we have temperature fluctuations but not extremes normally.)

6) Is there anything else I should consider in my design?

This is a link to the shed I intend to use: http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/garden/sheds/keter-plastic-factor-apex-shed-6-x-6ft-218927

I would be interested in peoples opinions in all the matters above, and also if anybody has successfully converted a plastic shed into a chicken coop, pictures would be great!

Thanks!

Ellie
My exact questions. Additionally, I’m getting people asking me her if they are predator safe?

Back
Top Bottom