plastic waterers with red bottoms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vickir73, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    yes, I would like automatic waterers, but right now it's not doable. I have one 5 gallon bucket in my main coop with nipples (which the chickens do use) and in the "baby" coop I have the white plastic waterers that have the red bottoms. Ideally, once you screw the black lid on the water is supposed to stop free flowing and only come out as the chickens drink the water. However, I have one that doesn't seem to work very well. I've tightened as much as I can, but the water keeps coming out.

Does anyone else have this problem? or what am I doing wrong. Is there a secret?

2. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    is it on a level surface? that's all I can think of

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    yes I know what you are talking about, I used to have the ones that where round on the bottom and they just stink, they kept leaking then i got this ones with the octagon bottom they work better.
    also make sure that when you screw the top cap on you don't cross threaded it
    is the one you talking about like the one I got here?
    [​IMG]

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    You need to make sure your rubber seal is still in the cap and not dried out if it is. I have found that mine dont have to be tight at all
    to keep the water from flowing.In fact too tight can keep the water from coming out.I think maybe the seal is gone or dried out and not
    doing it's job.

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    It has to be a defective O-ring. Or you're not screwing the cap on tight enough. (which I'm pretty sure you are)
    Do you hang it from the handle? Maybe the cap is becoming fatigued if you are. Just a thought.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Clean the top and the O ring well, and put a little Vaseline or vegetable oil on the O ring before you tighten it down.

Always rinse the top when you refill, and wet the O ring

7. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I was hating on mine here on this forum and some nice person told me to Vaseline the rubber O ring and WALA it quit leaking and works normally.....YAY

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Not adding anything, but veggie oil on o ring worked well for me. These are the only waterers that have not caused me issues!

9. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    One of mine had a crack on the red part that holds it in. It made it leak like like crazy.

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    A long time ago I had the same problem and tried securing it with flash caulking and cut the top open, added pipe so I could fill it from the top and have an "auto-ish" waterer. It worked but I was concerned about the caulking affecting the water. Then they started pecking at it and trying to eat the caulking. I'm sure you are smarter than me and would not try this but just an FYI not to be as dumb as me [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by