Platinum Andalusian?

Maureen O

Chirping
Sep 5, 2020
Is this considered “platinum” and if so, what are the genetics behind it? I got him from someone who got him from a breeder...wondering what he’ll make putting him on my blue and splash Andalusian hens.

Attachments

• 799BFC4B-DE7F-4429-BEBF-3775096F689B.jpeg
    799BFC4B-DE7F-4429-BEBF-3775096F689B.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 67
Platinum as I know it is one blue gene and one dun gene.
He looks splash to me, Idk? Not sure how dun or really anything else would have came from in an andalusian line.

Not sure how dun or really anything else would have came from in an andalusian line.

Unless there's a breeder who introduced it on purpose.

wondering what he’ll make putting him on my blue and splash Andalusian hens.

I don't know what he is (genetically speaking), but if you try it, I'd be curious to see what you get! One way to learn what genetics a bird has is to cross him with birds where you do know the genetics. It's called "test mating" if you want to sound official about it, but can also be called "what happens if...?" :)

Platinum as I know it is one blue gene and one dun gene.
He looks splash to me, Idk? Not sure how dun or really anything else would have came from in an andalusian line.
Ya, I know... it I saw a pic of a platinum Sumatra somewhere on here and the colors are exactly the same tho.

this is the platinum Sumatra...same coloring as my Andy
I know platinum Sumatras.
I breed for colors/patterns and I'm just not seeing your bird being that. Granted im on a phone screen and you only posted one pic.
I also know the dun gene isn't in a ton of breeds and I know what it would take to introduce it into Andalusians and then breed them back towards their standard while maintaining it. Thats a project.
When your birds are grown test breed him to some blacks. If he is splash the offspring will all be blue.
If he is platinum then they would throw blue, black, dun and platinum.

Back
Top Bottom