Play sand, construction sand, natural sand, etc. So confused!!

PamelaTX - If you can get some free natural sand that you know has no pesticides or chemicals in it, I would go for it! We love sand in the coop and run.
It's so much easier to clean. We have construction sand because we have only dirt in our area.

Thanks to all for the wonderful responses. Yes, I have access to free natural sand that has no chemicals or pesticides because it is on my own land in a very remote area with nearest neighbors miles away. I did gather a lot of it and put it in the coop and then, thanks to the forums here, topped it with Sweet PDZ. The chicks seem to be thrilled with their new digs.
woot.gif

We got the coop habitable just in time. I did what everyone says not to do which is buy the chicks without building a coop first. But after five years of dreaming I knew it was the only way it was going to get to the top of the list. Nothing like six chickens living in your bathroom to get you motivated (and my husband motivated!) to build a coop.

Thanks to everyone who posts on BYC! I feel confident our coop is seriously predator resistant (no such thing as proof right?) and well ventilated. Two things I'm sure I would have gotten wrong without great advise. You guys are wonderful!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you for answering my unspoken question about sand. I have 6 chicks in a 30"x48" dog pen in my den. We are building coop and run. Coop almost done. Starting on run tomorrow. Love the chicks. This is the first for us. They are very entertaining.

I've been throwing around the idea of sand in the coops and runs. Our current duck run is muddy and a little stinky. We can get it from a quarry near us for $15, which I bet is a lot cheaper than Home Depot. I've been thinking about Lea gravel in the duck runs, but it's hard to find around me. Jenniemig, you said you used sand in your duck run and it works okay? Does anyone have pics of their runs they could post? I'm interested to see what it looks like.. We rent and hubby is worried the landlord won't approve. (Landlord told me we just need to make sure to plant grass when we leave) but I'm thinking sand would be easier to clean up when we do move. Any thoughts? Sorry this is kind of all over the place :)

I've been throwing around the idea of sand in the coops and runs. Our current duck run is muddy and a little stinky. We can get it from a quarry near us for $15, which I bet is a lot cheaper than Home Depot. I've been thinking about Lea gravel in the duck runs, but it's hard to find around me. Jenniemig, you said you used sand in your duck run and it works okay? Does anyone have pics of their runs they could post? I'm interested to see what it looks like.. We rent and hubby is worried the landlord won't approve. (Landlord told me we just need to make sure to plant grass when we leave) but I'm thinking sand would be easier to clean up when we do move. Any thoughts? Sorry this is kind of all over the place :)

I have sand in my ducks run and so far it is working very well. I have read somewhere on here about someone who uses pea gravel with ducks, maybe Amiga?
Since I put them out a few weeks ago it has rained A LOT here. My runs do not have a roof covering them so they get wet. I was concerned about the smell because the rain washes most of the poo away before I can rake it out. So far there is no smell at all and the water drains off with no soggy spots or puddles. I have pics I can post later when I get to my office.

This is great to hear. I plan on doing this with my ducks and possibly chickens. How deep have you all made the sand so that everything drains well? I will have to purchase sand though but wondering what everyone uses? I hear a lot of people say about quarries. I have one close but not sure if they sell sand or not. Also, for chickens if I use sand for them also do I still put a dust bathing area for them or will the sand be ok?

I've been throwing around the idea of sand in the coops and runs. Our current duck run is muddy and a little stinky. We can get it from a quarry near us for $15, which I bet is a lot cheaper than Home Depot. I've been thinking about Lea gravel in the duck runs, but it's hard to find around me. Jenniemig, you said you used sand in your duck run and it works okay? Does anyone have pics of their runs they could post? I'm interested to see what it looks like.. We rent and hubby is worried the landlord won't approve. (Landlord told me we just need to make sure to plant grass when we leave) but I'm thinking sand would be easier to clean up when we do move. Any thoughts? Sorry this is kind of all over the place
smile.png
These pics were during construction.

Back
Top Bottom