play sand or construction sand for Ducks feet.

Mallarducks

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2023
hello! Im in the process of trying to make a softer terrain area for my ducks, I read that play sand isn’t really too great for chickens but coarse sand is good, but what about ducks? I wanted a softer terrain for my ducks feet to prevent bumble foot and calluses so Can construction sand help with being a softer terrain or is play sand better for the area they spend most of their time in? I’m worried that maybe the different size rocks in the coarse sand can eventually cause injury. But I’m also unsure if play sand is better

Play sand is super fine and kicks up a ton of dust that isn’t good for any animal to breathe in for a long time. Construction sand is decently soft, but it will break down from a lot of wear and be very dusty as well. I recommend if you do get sand to change it out once or twice a year.

hello! Im in the process of trying to make a softer terrain area for my ducks, I read that play sand isn’t really too great for chickens but coarse sand is good, but what about ducks? I wanted a softer terrain for my ducks feet to prevent bumble foot and calluses so Can construction sand help with being a softer terrain or is play sand better for the area they spend most of their time in? I’m worried that maybe the different size rocks in the coarse sand can eventually cause injury. But I’m also unsure if play sand is better
do not get play sand, its bad for ducks too.
Get the construction sand. :)
I use it in muddy areas in duck's yard.
I also use gravel when the ducks have made a big puddle. pea gravel and sand :)

Play sand is super fine and kicks up a ton of dust that isn’t good for any animal to breathe in for a long time. Construction sand is decently soft, but it will break down from a lot of wear and be very dusty as well. I recommend if you do get sand to change it out once or twice a year.
The play sand will be in an open space not inside their house is it still a concern

do not get play sand, its bad for ducks too.
Get the construction sand. :)
I use it in muddy areas in duck's yard.
I also use gravel when the ducks have made a big puddle. pea gravel and sand :)
Is pea gravel and construction sand bad for their feet if they spend most of their time one it?

I once asked one of my my adult daughter to help me walk around barefoot in my ducks area to see if there were any sharp stones so we could pick them up and my daughter said, but mom we weigh so much more than a duck so when we step on it, there’s a lot of pressure, pushing us down onto the stone and we feel it more but a duck is very light so they don’t feel it as much…!!

I still pick up anything I see that might hurt their feet like little sticks, acorns, sharp rocks, but for eight years, my ducks have run around on mostly dirt and weeds with some sand and gravel areas and I haven’t had a single case of bumble foot “yet thank God “ I hope I never do but I’m prepared just in case

Back
Top Bottom