Playhouse Conversion Update and Questions

LoriE

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Carson City, NV
Hi!

So our conversion from wooden playhouse to coop is underway. We have gutted the interior:

IMG_3618.jpg

And removed the roof which we discovered already has tar paper down the center (not the apex or the overhang):

IMG_3617.jpg

And here's the almost-finished run (6'x7'x4'):

IMG_3619.jpg

And look what we found buried under the house when we lifted it (it was already dead):

IMG_3621.jpg

Taking it to school to show my daughter's class today!

Anyway, on to the questions. First off, I live in the high desert (NV at about 4700' elevation). Is there any reason to raise the house off the ground since we don't have any sort of water issues here? Should I cover under the bottom (on the studs running under the floor) with hardware wire if we don't raise it? The floor is very solid, but I am assuming rodents could chew their way inside.

Since there isn't water/weather issues here, should I leave the apex of the roof open (between the slats) for ventilation? I am already leaving the top of each eaves on the ends open for the same reason. Spacing between the slats is about 1/8-1/4". Should I put down a later of ODB under the roof (either covering or not covering the apex)? We are going to put a layer of ODB down inside the walls to prevent drafts, and I bought enough to do the roof. But then we found the tar paper. Rain rarely happens here, and not under our large trees where the coop will be.

I am planning on putting an accessible nest box in the window on the left end. Should I make the box outside the window with a locking top, or inside the window, using the window for access (of course backed with ODB and locked)? Is either a better idea (assuming interior box would be warmer and more secure?)?

Should I be majorly concerned about predators? We are in the city, and have GOBS of quail (and their babies) running all through the neighborhood. If we had major predation, wouldn't we see less? Maybe there's so many we don't notice the losses, or do chickens attract more than wild fowl?

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post and answer any of the questions you can!

We're getting excited here. Now if that lady with the chickens would just call back.....

Lori
Carson City, NV

First the coop looks like its gonna be wonderful.
Second YUCK!!! SHRIEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! I would have broken my neck getting away from that snake..I dont care if it was already dead!

Quote:
Sorry for the bad pic (I guess). It's actually a 4-decker yellow jacket nest <LOL>. Still a snake would have been cool.......<grin>

Lori

That's not a snake.. It's a bee hive.

Looks like alot of work you've got done.. Grats!
smile.png

As for the roof.. Hmmm.. Confuses me... Did it cover all the way to the center as well? Ah, never mind.. You say it does not cover the peek.. How odd. Still work tearing it down and redoing it, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. The roof covers to the peak, but not the tar paper. So there's 1/8"-1/4" spaces between the slats that let air in for the top 12" or so near the apex. Does that help?

It will also let rain in, making the tar paper useless. Much better off redoing that and making vets at the sides of the building near the peak. Now, granted you may not get alot of rain, but what you will get will surely be dripping between those 1/4" gaps.

I just recently asked about OSB. Check out a past post called "OSB vs Plywood" Basically is wood chips glued together while plywood is thing layers of wood glued together. OSB looks like plywood but is not as weather proof or strong as plywood. It is much cheaper than plywood however.
Scott

Can anyone answer some of the other questions?

Anyway, on to the questions. First off, I live in the high desert (NV at about 4700' elevation). Is there any reason to raise the house off the ground since we don't have any sort of water issues here? Should I cover under the bottom (on the studs running under the floor) with hardware wire if we don't raise it? The floor is very solid, but I am assuming rodents could chew their way inside.

I am planning on putting an accessible nest box in the window on the left end. Should I make the box outside the window with a locking top, or inside the window, using the window for access (of course backed with OSB and locked)? Is either a better idea (assuming interior box would be warmer and more secure?)?

Should I be majorly concerned about predators? We are in the city, and have GOBS of quail (and their babies) running all through the neighborhood. If we had major predation, wouldn't we see less? Maybe there's so many we don't notice the losses, or do chickens attract more than wild fowl?

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post and answer any of the questions you can!

Getting chickens on Sat or Sun (fingers crossed coop is done!)

Back
Top Bottom