Playhouse Coop - Best Practices

JPapp

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SF, Bay Area
So I'm building a version of the playhouse coop shown in the coop sections on here this weekend - similar to the one that a gentleman sells plans for on ebay. So I will be making minor modifications and will be building off the cuff - no plans. I have searched and seen other members playhouse coops, but any additional images or best practices for this coop would be appreciated. What you did different that worked well for you, what you would do different if you built again, etc? I only have 3 birds so the 4 x 8 size should be perfect.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

We have an *almost complete* step by step here

We made the door to fit in a frame by countersinking the screws and put it on the front, not the side. We also left the roosting area open all the way to the top of the roof and skipped the storage area. Due to this we were able to put that triangle piece on hinges for ventilation. We added the nest box externally, but within the run area. And we did plywood and shingles for the roof, I think it looks nice.

All the changes we made were based on what we thought we would want to do, and what we knew how to do. You'll figure it out! Good luck!

Awesome photos..this is the coop I am trying to get my architect husband (good with a pencil but not a saw) to build. Any chance you will have more photos of the finished box?
smile.png

Hey JPapp,

Did you use 1x4's all the way or are there some 2x4's in your plan? I too am planning on 3 hens and this is looking like a good coop you have here.

They are all 1x3s as instructed by the plans. We bought 5/4X6 cedar deck boards and ripped them with a table saw. Doing it that way we ended up with a rather thin strip from each board that we used for trim. I will take some better pics this weekend of the finished product with all the bells and whistles!

Thanks NRacine, we don't actually have a copy of the plans so we are sort of guessing based on all the pictures we can find of this type of coop. Economic downturn and less than thrilled husband keep me from purchasing them but it shouldn't be that hard right?

Thanks, N Racine, for your pictures. They really have helped us. We are building the same coop.

Question, did you use plywood instead of cedar? We can't find the cedar siding he suggests so I think we're going to use 1/4" plywood.

We used the cedar for framing as the designer suggested and ripped the boards in half to 2-3/4".

Two walls done this weekend, more next! The two large walls took us about a total of 5 hours to construct, including wrestling with the hardware cloth.

We are also making modifications to the plans to fit us. We are stealing your idea of putting the door in the end, also because it fits our space better.

We are making the roost box area larger than on the original plans, we widened it by 6" is all. It will provide a little more shade for them too, hopefully. Important here in NM.

Thanks everyone!
Renee

Yes, the plywood is just regular cheap plywood. I took pictures this weekend, but didn't have time to put them up yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.....

Back
Top Bottom