Playhouse to coop conversion?

Which plan do you think I should go with?

• Plan one (original post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan two (post further down, also has list of several chicken breeds on it)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
I think that I'm going to go with the second plan I made: the playhouse (5x5) Raised over part of a 5x10 run. Depending on how much space the rest of the household is willing to give up, and what's still available when I can do the conversion, I may end up with a smaller coop, run or both. In that case I will do bantams. I'll have to ask what's the priority: the egg size and quantity, or how much space the coop takes up.

The coop is 5x5, which if I'm correct, should be enough for 6 birds.
I'm planning to put this in an 8x8 run.
Maybe....if run has a good solid roof and completely covers the playhouse.
Think feet of snow load....and winterized run walls so ventilation for coop is protected from wicked winter winds.

Maybe....if run has a good solid roof and completely covers the playhouse.
Think feet of snow load....and winterized run walls so ventilation for coop is protected from wicked winter winds.
I've since changed my plan. That one wasn't as space efficient and probably wouldn't have worked out. My new plan is in a post further down, the same 5x5 coop over part of a 10x5 run.

Yes, I saw them both before posting ;)
Ah, ok. Yes, I will put a solid roof on the run. Snow load isn't a problem where I am-it used to be, but because of global warming, the max amount we usually get is a few inches. Ideally, this would get better, but yeah. Optimistically we'd be getting more snow in the future. How does one winterize run walls? Ideally I'd be able to access the coop and nesting boxes from the outside. I was thinking something like this:
coop plans.jpg
\
(let's just pretend that the playhouse looks like a playhouse, and the roof looks like it covers it.) The black is the playhouse, and the blue is what I'd have to build. (*realizes I forgot a post on the other side of the middle one) Aaaaaaany way. I was assuming that all the gaps were filled with hardware cloth besides the ones on the three sides of the playhouse not facing the run. My questions are: Does this seem good? and also: How much of a slant should the roof be at? last question: There is planned ventilation on the 2 sides of the coop that didn't make it in the drawing. Would I have to cut out some space at the top to add more?

How does one winterize run walls?
Plastic sheeting.
You'd be more comfortable being under cover of the run roof to tend to the birds.
The problem with a playhouse is it has little to no roof overhang to protect the ventilation, the run roof should be bigger to help with that.
I can't think of anywhere in new england that doesn't get some snow.
Run roof should be angled enough for rain to run off easily.

Plastic sheeting.
You'd be more comfortable being under cover of the run roof to tend to the birds.
The problem with a playhouse is it has little to no roof overhang to protect the ventilation, the run roof should be bigger to help with that.
I can't think of anywhere in new england that doesn't get some snow.
Run roof should be angled enough for rain to run off easily.
Ah, ok. I am in the VERY bottom of New England-I just didn't want to give an exact location, so I said New England. Like I said-we get a bit of snow, but not too much anymore. Thanks! I'll make sure that it's angled enough.

Back
Top Bottom