Playhouse Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am starting it today. I only had enough funds to get about half the frame wood. I got 10 2x2s when I need 18. We used 2x2s instead of 2x4s so it's lighter. Although mom suggested 1x2s, I figure those were too thin to support a coop. I needed a coop for my two cochins, they are bantams and I follow a 2 in, 5 out for my standards and they do great with that. So the coop is 2x3 and the run including the part below the coop is 3x5. This is enough for 3 birds, but I didn't want a tight fit, so I'm just keeping my current girls in it. I plan to do plexiglass window, and the roof slope on the sides of the coop will be vented. I'm thinking of hinging the plexiglass window to allow access, instead of just a window. I expect to have this done before August. If I had all the materials, and it wasn't so hot, it could easily be done in a day. I'm building it panel by panel (front, back, side, side, side) so that it's easily dissasembled and simple to build. I'm using the dreaded chicken wire on it, I have no welded wire or hardware mesh. The tractor will be in Willow's pen, and not used that often, so it is fine.

Day 1 Progress
    In about an hour I got everything sketched up for a final run through and marked down how the boards will be cut. Then screwed guide holes and used 3" screws to hold the wood together. (Leaning against a Dodge Intrepid if that helps with size)

[​IMG]

Here you can see that the coop floor supports are not flush. I wanted them to stick out, but will put another piece in to fill the gap. It's just that the way I'm cutting boards I won't have the pieces to fill it until next week [​IMG] I'm trying to cut so I have no wasted materials. I've already spent $20. This is including screws and the wood. I will need two $12 roofing panels and 8 more pieces of wood. I'm expecing $60 budget, all new materials except wire.

[​IMG]

The height pieces are flush, and the one is missing for the door because we don't know what size door we are using [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try to keep this thread updated. It's going to be like a playhouse coop, in the since that it's the run with a small coop raised on the end. We plan to call it the Tree House. Instead of an A frame roof we're doing a sloped shed roof.

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I can't wait to see the next steps- sounds like you know what you are doing!

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I haven't gotten much progress. I was distracted by the dogs fighting, turned my head and continued to shove a drillbit through my hand. It's not bad, didn't go all the way through and is in between my thumb and index finger. I'm okay, promise. I have designed it on Google Sketchup, so you can get an idea. The front window is plexiglass and 1x3 moulding. Maybe 1x2. The side window is the same, but side hinged so that it opens as the access door. The flowerbox will hold some cheap flowers. The roof is corrugated plastic or metal, undecided as of yet. The wire will be hardware mesh, as we lost another chicken to a snake today!!! Got through the chicken wire. Thank goodness it was a standard pullet and not my cochin. I hate we lost one, but at least it wasn't a favorite. (Sounds harsh, but I love the cochins)

As far as progress goes, I have the coop portion framed except the roosts. We just need to cut plywood and then the roof supports, wire, doors, window box, window and roof!

Edit to add pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by