Playing Dead!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZaneyMama, May 31, 2010.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    My 2 dogs got out today while the chickens were free ranging and one of them tried to kill one of my chickens. The other one chased a couple of the chickens but didn't hurt them. In the aftermath (no one was permanently injured), I went looking for 3 of the chickens I couldn't find. I was carrying one around to call to the others and she was being very helpful. I was looking in our woodpile and didn't notice anything. I went back and suddenly saw a mass of feathers and no neck or head, but no blood - she was camouflaged in the woodpile. She's a brown EE. I thought for sure she was dead. Turns out, she had her head shoved far in between some logs and was playing dead! AMAZING! As soon as I pulled her out, she was completely fine. Not a scratch on her. I had no idea they did that.

The BR that was attacked limped for a little while, then recovered completely! These girls really are tough! I am SO glad everyone survived and I am being extra vigilant with my dogs now. We are actually trying to find a new home for the terrier!

2. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Whew! Smart little girl you have there. :)

3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I don't know about playing dead, but we have these two bales of straw in the backyard sitting a few inches apart and the chickens will go up to it, shove their heads in between the two bales and push as hard as they can until it seems like their stuck there, then they lay down. Then after awhile, maybe 20 minutes or half an hour, they pull back out and go their merry way! We have never been able to figure out what they are doing!

I am glad your chickens are alright and no real harm was done.

CJ

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    She was probably trying to squeeze in there to hide. Mine will do that when they are being bothered by the roos too much,, except it leaves their butts exposed!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Maybe a little Ostrich in the family?

Imp-a little possum too. [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The tall weeds I've pulled have been thrown into several piles I'll have to gather up and put into the "green" trash container later this week. One pile got built around the base of one of my Topsy Turvy Deluxe Tomato planters... and the chickens have burrowed into it, making it more of a little cave. There were THREE pullets in there today! (Not laying their eggs, thank goodness.)

I noticed one of the chicks in the brooder likes to burrow her head into the pine shavings, too - to go to sleep! Odd. Never saw that before now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by