Playing in the rain

DingleBay

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Yesterday it started storming and raining very heavy and lasted several hours. It was windy as well. All eight of my buffs stayed out in the covered run the whole time. After the rain slowed down I went out to check on them. There were several large puddles and the whole run was soaked. The chickens however were dry, except for the bottom half of them. They all were having the best time scratching and pecking and splashing! The wet must have brought up lots of bugs and worms for them. They were like 6 year old kids playing in the rain.

One question I do have, is it ok for them to get wet? I guess so. They sure were not afraid of the rain.

Mine don't mind getting wet they like being out in the rain. However we haven't seen rain here for about 3 months.
sad.png

mine love the rain. under the covered run that is. its a refreshing feeling for them i suppose. they will walk in the puddles however on a down pour.... they will come running for cover in the run while out and about free ranging. the ducks enjoy the rain....... we had heavy rain all day yesterday in ct.....so just once in a while ...not bad.

to answer your question, i think its okay... however perhaps chickens could catch a cold if they are constantly wet... not sure, perhaps someone else will chime in.
smile.png

I would not do this with bitties but I do it with juveniles and big birds....once in a while I fill the bottom of a old cat box about 1/4 or so full of water on really hot days and set it in the run. I only put about 3 inches in it and when then go in it it is hysterical.

There is a old saying "I am not laughing at you, but with you". THis IS NOT the case here folks. I am laughing at them. They just have a great time. They go right in the coop if it is raining but hit the pool if it is hot.

I would not do this if it is cold but it has been in the upper 80's

Our "California sunshine" girls hate the rain. If there is anything more than a drizzle they head for cover and sulk.
lol.png

Last edited:
my chicken coop has a covered run, an uncovered run and the hen house. when we got a huge downpoor one day and I got back from errands i saw that they had stayed in the uncovered run, and where now sopping wet.
lau.gif
they all looked crazy looking. so i brought them all to the luandry room and rubbed them all off with a towel and then blow dreid them. pampered chickens! It was worth it though they talked to me and i fed them there favorite scratch and other treats.

My coop is raised two feet off the ground. When it's raining mine love to stay out under their coop instead of running inside. Then when it lets up a little they run around and look for bugs. They enjoy it.

I have gone out in the winter and found my free rangers covered in frost.. have seen them soaking wet with ice forming on their feathers.. seen them stand in their water.. stand in the pouring rain and completely ignore any shelter

all of my birds who are outside will stand in the misters when it's hot out or will come running over and stand under the hose and get soaked

i keep telling them they are not ducks.. they don't care to listen

I turn on the sprinkler when it's hot. It's been triple digits alot lately. The Wyandottes love it. The rest of them took a while before they understood it would cool them off. Now they all get sprinkled and then take dust baths in the moist dirt and scratch and peck for bugs and have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom