Playing or fighting?

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Can anyone tell me why my 2 Buff Orpingtons jump and provoke each other so much? Sunny (roo) and Goldie (hen) grew up together and I assumed they'd mate once they reach full maturity but they've started displaying aggression but not... Actual aggression? It's more like sparring. Sunny jumps her a lot and she jumps him back. They try to jump the ducks and welsummers but that doesn't work. The welsummers are too small, so I scold them for it, and the ducks couldn't care less. Even so, they're constantly jumping at one another, squeaking and flying around but not pecking each other. Is this normal playful behavior that I should let be or is it something I should interfere on?

1685994307661.png
1685994322305.png
1685994284898.png

Chickens don’t “play” like other species. Seems to me like they are establishing dominance/the pecking order. Or he could be trying to mate and she’s just not ready yet. Either way, as long as there’s no blood, I’d leave them be.
Thank you. I thought it was the pecking order but I wasn't 100% sure. The head rooster is currently Trifle (in my pic) but Sunny's behavior tells me he wants to steal that spot already.

Back
Top Bottom