pleae help a newbie !!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Elly, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I was given six ducks and a male...taken in or else they would have been killed. I never had ducks and know very little about them and didn't want babies so was trying hard to not let a female sit on her eggs to hatch them...well guess what this morning coming into the barn there is a baby duckling !!!!. I live in southern Ont. and our nights are below zero already and my barn is old and draft. I'm worried about the baby and not sure what to do. Please help !!!

If someone knows anything about ducks if they could please answer a few questions that would be so great..
    1. will the mother duck take total care of this baby?
    2. do I need speacial food for the baby. Right now all I have is normal adult duck pellet type food. Too big for the baby to eat.
    3. Will I need a heat source. If so what could I use...would a large dog crate with a light bulb in it work? Will the mother be spooked away if I move them.
    4. Right now the female has a spot in the barn where it is very draft and the cold wind blows right across her.
    5.Should they be allowed outside. I kept them inside for now till I get some info.
    6. I think the baby was born last night so has had nothing to eat or drink. I tried to offer the baby some water, but it wasn't interested...just wanted to be with mom.
    I have to run out to the vet with a sick cat later on this morning so will stop at the local feed store for some duckling food.

Thanks for your help.
    ps I'm posting on the duck part of this form also,but thought it wouldn't hurt to get help from all the knowledgeable people I can

2. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Wow! She was REALLY determined to hatch a baby. I have no advice for you but she has already shown you where there is a will there is a way :)

Good luck!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    1.) Normally the momma will do all the work, just keep an eye on her to make sure she is.

2.) It wouldn't hurt to pick up some duckling crumble for it.

3.) I would put an igloo dog house or pet carrier in there for them to get out of the wind in. The momma should be able to produce enough heat to keep the baby warm if you do. Even just a box with some straw it in would be great.

4.) They can go out if you don't have a problem with feathers, but I wouldn't let them in a place where the baby can get wet. It might be best to just keep them in for a little while.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, somehow the link under Diseases that I posted ceased working later, not sure why and can't find the thread now, so will reopen this one. Sorry, Elly! Not sure what happened!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. ohsnapitscharity

ohsnapitscharity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    columbia
    The mother duck will take extremely good care of her little duckkieeees

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by