Please Advise: Fighting Hens

Actually, I haven't had them together much. I tried twice and panicked both times fairly quickly. I understand from your advice, and others', that they have to do this but it looks fairly brutal.

I'll try switching them.

Another angle is that I have a visiting rooster who wanders around the backyard during the day. As a result, I've kept my birds in the run, except the separated hen, who I let out with the new rooster, as I don't have anywhere else to keep her. I don't know if this changes anything. I think she initiates the fights.

This afternoon I failed to latch the door separating the two living areas and the single hen got into the general area. I was away for about 2 and half hours and when I returned, the two hens were fighting and looked as if they had been at it for hours. Their heads are red, as if they have been bleeding, although I can't find any bleeding wounds now. They are both exhausted and when I took the separated hen away, the other one went right into the nesting box.

Is this hopeless? Should I have left them, despite the signs of bleeding?

I have 2 youngsters and a nearly 3 year old. The 3 year old attacked the two youngsters and hated them from day 1, so I kept them separated by chicken wire for over a month so that they could only see each other. She would peck them through the wire if they got too close. Gradually the attacks got less violent and I let them have short supervised get-togethers every few days. I stood between them so that she could not attack and we have now got to the stage when I can leave them together unsupervised all day, but I still put the agressive one in a crate on her own at night. It has taken over 6 weeks to get to this stage and I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen. I never let them draw blood as the older hen was involved in killing a new flock mate at her old home. I can only suggest patience, time, and don't let them do any damage to each other.

What is she were to interview and push the attacking hen back herself when it came for the hen? I did that with one of mine and kept doing it until she stopped attacking the other one. And if she bit I would flick her beek with my finger nail. They were only seven weeks old but would this work with older hens?

Quote:
There, in a nutshell, is the solution.
You can try temporary separation and intervention and all the other methods. Try them all, in fact. But in the end it is gonna take time.

There is a final solution I've been avoiding, hoping for a lessening of hostilities. That solution is to CULL the offending hen.
In large flocks, the issues of dominance are lessened. In a small group, the opposite is true.
CULL does not automatically mean kill, mind you. It can be permanent separation or rehoming. But consider it a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom