Please advise how I can get young ducks to go up the ramp and put themselves to bed at dusk

CountryLivingNow

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
I still have to capture the ducks before dark - either by hand or by a net. I have too many pets to have worked on taming the ducks. They like me best when I'm taking them treats. I would really appreciate if someone would tell me how to get the ducks to walk up the ramp into their coop before dark. Some have actually walked up the ramp & into the coop and when I come out to make sure they are all in the coop - they come out and then I have to snag all five of them and put them inside the coop. This is driving me crazy! I have to do this alone - son works second shift & sometimes I have to wait until it is completely dark because they don't see well at night - usually by that time I am down to 1 duck still outside the coop. I have laid back and waited for them to do this on their own with mixed success. I realize I am doing something wrong here. I can't even get them in with putting treats inside the coop. They are still young - hatched around the middle of October. Thanks for any advise.
PS - I close & lock the coop door at night because I want them locked in for their safety.

When my little ones moved outside it took me a week or so to get them to go in on their own. When it was time to put them in for the night I would herd them into their house by staying behind them with my arms out. I looked like an idiot and my husband and kids got a kick out of watching me do it, but the ducks eventually got the idea and if they aren't already in their house when I go out, as soon as they see my arms going up, they know what's up and go into their house. I'm not gonna lie, every now and again they get stubborn and I have to herd them in there like a dork, but I think it's a lot easier than having to catch them individually 🤷🏻‍♀️

Depending on your ducks and if they can fly or not, I wish suggests putting a small fenced area to herd them in next to the ramp. I would put my ducks on the ramp and guide them in. After a few times they get use to the ramp and can just be herded in. If they can easily jump a fence, this won't really help.

Back
Top Bottom