Please advise on meat bird chicks

I did! After a weigh-in (total bird weight 154 lbs) Sunday afternoon, I chose two pullets and a cockerel in the 6 lb range who were well-feathered. I left the 7 lb boys for later because they still haven’t feathered out and I think they may be a hassle to pluck.

Haven’t weighed the processed birds yet, but they are GORGEOUS! There was just a little fat that’s going to flavor them up perfectly tomorrow roasted with red potatoes.
Where's the mmmm emoge?

I ordered some welp birds too so I've been watching this thread on how they've done.

hey you did good... I am not that patient!

Forced by Circumstance due to COVID, and a late start on beginning my flock, they were my only males. I was hoping to get some genetic material out of them, uncertain though it would be, so I didn't need to buy more birds and "start over" in Spring. Then the first one was allowed to overeat (my fault) and was generally ""big"" compared to my smallest hens (the Comets) so when he could hardly walk... *snick* off with the head. Roo #2 had always been the submissive. Four weeks later, with no competition, he still had no interest in the girls, and I got the chance to rehome a Roo who had produced progeny, so... *snick* off with the head.

Forced by Circumstance due to COVID, and a late start on beginning my flock, they were my only males. I was hoping to get some genetic material out of them, uncertain though it would be, so I didn't need to buy more birds and "start over" in Spring. Then the first one was allowed to overeat (my fault) and was generally ""big"" compared to my smallest hens (the Comets) so when he could hardly walk... *snick* off with the head. Roo #2 had always been the submissive. Four weeks later, with no competition, he still had no interest in the girls, and I got the chance to rehome a Roo who had produced progeny, so... *snick* off with the head.
next time around sounds like you will have a better selection for flock rooster??? I know that we currently have more contestants than breeding pens, and I find it hard to decide who has to go sometimes. some of the selections are easy but others are Hard

@aliciaplus3 I'm embarking on a selective culling process. My flock is already more than half mutt, I'm going to homogenize a bit, decide what I need to bring in next, repeat. I've one laying Cornish X, some of the genetics there are worthwhile. I have a bunch of Hoover's "Rainbows", which were supposed to be their DP birds before they started selling some Ranger (though contra description, mine look like mostly NHR with some Orp, or mostly Orp with almost as much NHR), the Brahma which eventually get big (and are SO much smarter than the rest of my flock), and the SLWs (who have some Brahma in their background, but clean legs). So I've already got a lot to work with genetically, I've just got to play the lotto (a lot) to develop something suitable for my area.

In short, I have a landrace in mind as an end goal and a long time horizon.

@aliciaplus3 I'm embarking on a selective culling process. My flock is already more than half mutt, I'm going to homogenize a bit, decide what I need to bring in next, repeat. I've one laying Cornish X, some of the genetics there are worthwhile. I have a bunch of Hoover's "Rainbows", which were supposed to be their DP birds before they started selling some Ranger (though contra description, mine look like mostly NHR with some Orp, or mostly Orp with almost as much NHR), the Brahma which eventually get big (and are SO much smarter than the rest of my flock), and the SLWs (who have some Brahma in their background, but clean legs). So I've already got a lot to work with genetically, I've just got to play the lotto (a lot) to develop something suitable for my area.

In short, I have a landrace in mind as an end goal and a long time horizon.
kindered spirits.... I keep working twords the biggest cockerels I can at 12-14 weeks old and still have a decent number of eggs from the females.... so many possibilites.

Back
Top Bottom