Please advise on meat bird chicks

Xouie

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Wow... 4 weeks old! All 25 chicks are looking good. The development is so variable. The largest chicks are so huge, and the smallest ones are more dainty, “only” 2.5 pounds.

Turkey, the biggest cockerel, weighed in at 3.5 pounds at 3.5 weeks.
0274EF12-AC8A-4B76-8800-6502DA2365FB.jpeg

Albert is growing pink feathers around his neck and wings:
8B76F6C7-CEBD-48A4-82C6-E44C0D1ACAD4.jpeg

And our Princess Patty needs to oversee everything:
F2F35542-E22E-48B7-B2E4-47B5AAEECFD8.jpeg

Xouie

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Seriously impressed by the rates at which they put on weight. Much better stock than I purchased this Spring. Sounds like you are doing everything right, and the results bear that out.
I have excellent advisors here on BYC. :D I just listen to you all and learn!

I lucked into the bird quality; ordered from a hatchery having a $1 per chick sale. I didn’t want to spend much because this was a first time adventure. But the chicks were very strong and grow so nicely.

Feedwise I’m using the same 25% protein as for our first meat bird. But introduced scratch earlier as treats to hopefully add a little fat. Princess Pie was 7 pounds live on processing day, but really had no fat. She wouldn’t touch scratch, just liked her crumbles and garden greens. (Just my luck— a health nut.)

U_Stormcrow

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
How much (if any) free ranging did your birds do?? My meaties were also no fat, but they free ranged a lot, thinking any benefit they got from that (apart from entertainment and varied diet) was largely offset by the energy they spent hunting food. Also, 25% protein? That's a big difference from my experience, will adjust next time to more closely follow your example.

Once we have a full size chest/upright freezer for storage.

Xouie

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
How much (if any) free ranging did your birds do?? My meaties were also no fat, but they free ranged a lot, thinking any benefit they got from that (apart from entertainment and varied diet) was largely offset by the energy they spent hunting food. Also, 25% protein? That's a big difference from my experience, will adjust next time to more closely follow your example.

Once we have a full size chest/upright freezer for storage.
My first one used to free range a fair bit of the day, following me around the garden. Toward the end we had a heat wave, so I’m embarrassed to say it but she spent the hottest of the days in the living room watching tv in a modified brooder bin.

These new ones are LAZY. Our free ranging attempts have resulted in them just sulking outside the shed door waiting to go back in. The daytime temperature averages between 50-60F, so it could be too cold for them yet.

Top Bottom