Please advise on meat bird chicks

Ok, my first ever batch of meat birds (not counting Pie) is arriving next week from Welp hatchery. This is also my first ever batch of ANY kind of shipped hatchery chicks. (We always hatch at home.) So I’m just plain scared silly right now. Here’s my plan:

1. Go to the local post office when I get a shipping number and let them know a box of chicks is coming and can I come to pick up on the arrival day.

2. Set up a 2x6 brooder cage for the first few days. It will have a brooder plate in one area and a light in another.

3. When they arrive put them in the cage immediately with just sugar water (hatchery recommendation) then after an hour give them protein starter in a canister feeder and a bar feeder. Change the sugar water to plain water.

4. after a few days (when they look ready I guess), move them to their grow shed, continuing the plate and light. once they’re grown big enough to be in the grow shed I’m not so worried.

Do you see any flaws in this plan? Any gaps from your experience? Anything you want to advise or add, I’m ready to learn. I’ve searched the forum and read the detailed articles by @Tre3hugger and @jolenesdad — and thank you both for the information!!
We have had great success using apple cider vinegar with the mother for the last 2 years.. NO pasty butts, our welp slo gros are near 60 days with zero loss,,, Our 76 welp fast gro saw zero loss until the heat or genetics started getting them.. Good luck to ya'll..

THEY’RE HERE!!!! They’re here they’re here they’re here!!! :wee:celebrate:wee:love
26 squirming, fussing, running fuzzies are slaking their thirst on broiler booster water right now. Food on the paper towels in about an hour. They’re so skinny— I want to feed them right now. :( They’ll hang out in the observation/hospital bin for a while until I’m sure each one is ready to head for the brooder cage.
3ED39E7C-A55E-46A0-A83A-503E992779F9.jpeg

No pasty butts on the first round of checks, and everybody has a bulgy (is that a word?) crop already. I haven’t sprinkled grit yet. I’ll butt check twice a day for a while, then once a day.

There was a bit of shrieking a bit ago; an alfalfa leaf from the quail brooder got in there and some of the CX were arguing over it.

1 oz per gallon.. All 25 still going strong but then my chick rearing experience started back in the 70's so I'd hope to have the hang of it by now..

Today was move-to-the-brooder-room day!!! Finally!! The 2x6 quail brooder just couldn’t hold 25 growing Patties (thanks Tre3hugger for the name :D). I thought they’d be thrilled to have more space and bigger dining facilities, but for a while they just clustered and chirped. Then somebody discovered the warming wall and somebody else discovered the food and water. My pretty Patties are all settled now. :love

7B1718B3-EB85-4A66-B910-3FC968221AA4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom