Please allow me to vent about freecycle...

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I am fairly new to the whole freecycle thing but man is it frustrating....

I have listed so many things and a lot of them are repeat listings cause no one shows up....

I have wasted a lot of time on these things making sure i answer e-mails getting things ready to go for them and they dont show

its not like i am trying to give away garbage...

I have a wooden dresser...no one seems to want it
a chinchilla cage
clothing..not walmart clothing either...gap, roots, childrens place, columbia...(not that there is anything wrong with walmart but these are brand names)

what am I doing wrong?...or is it always this hit and miss with freecycle?

I thought about listing them on here but there is not many BYC'ers near me

Yes, it can be very frustrating dealing with inconsiderate people on both freecycle and craigslist, but I think it is still worth the effort if it keeps stuff out of the landfills.

We practice "curbside freecycling". We put a piece of furniture out by the street with a free sign on it. Usually it is gone in one day. We just put a sofa out yesterday. I havent looked to see if it has been claimed yet, but weve only had a few items that took more than one day to disappear.
However, our place is located on a fairly busy street.

Good luck.

chel

Edited to add: Yea! The huge sofa is gone !!!

Hmm..probably just depends. I've had great luck getting rid of stuff on Freecycle. Nobody has flaked yet. On the other hand, when I see something that I want, it's gone with lightning speed! I miss all the good stuff!

I've had good luck with CL too.

One thing about the chinchilla cage, maybe not many people have chinchillas? Maybe market it as a rabbit cage?
idunno.gif
Just an idea.

I stopped using feecycle for this very reason. Craigslist can be just as bad so I put the stuff to the curb and do a curb alert on craigslist...when it is gone I delete the posting.

I sold a fridge on craigslist this past week and had three people ask me to hold it for them and not show up.

I've found our freecycle to be a hit and miss thing. People want it and never show, then if I do get a response back - I didn't realize how far from town you were. We're 15 minutes from town! Obviously they didn't want it bad enough.
I've found kijiji works well for even the free stuff and our nephew loves it. He has almost gotten his entire rec room furnished (carpet included) from just free stuff off kijiji. I know I found it works well for selling stuff.

I could not figure out how to get connected to a freecycle list so I gave up. I use Craigs List also. I will never hold something again. People getting stuff for free can be picky and flaky. I just say what I have and first person to pick it up - no holds barred.

I don't understand - if something is free, why are people so nit picky?

Back
Top Bottom