Please assist me in choosing the best option to protect my hens.

Best option?

• Chicken Ark x 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portable Electric Netting, 48" x 50'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32' x 32' Dog Run Reinforced with Electric Fence

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Kafka I don't wan't to give you the wrong idea Those are the predators I have, you may have different I would go to a local feed store and ask about the local predators they should be able to give you a good idea. 1 more major predator is stray/neighbors dogs

Have you thought about a standard electric fence. They can be designed almost any way imaginable

mayabe its beter to have a pet fox ? - They are cute when their not killing chickens

The first thing you need is a spacious predator proof coop. Then I would put three wires on your dog run. One close to the ground that is on the extensions that put the electric fence about six inches from the fence. Then another in the middle and the last across the top. You can allways lose a couple. no matter what you do. With the predator proof coop you will have time to find your predator and remove it then let them out again. A stray dog can wipe out your flock in a few minutes. I have a permanent coop and a couple of Ark style mobile pens. I haven't had anything dig under so far. I will say that even with six square foot per bird as long as you move it everyday to fresh grass they don't pick on each other. They will wipe out all the grass in an area that small in a day. I plan to try the premier electronet this year. I think it will work good here in our climate year round. They also make a device to attatch to an electric fence that alarms if it grounds out.

There are so many cheap and good ways to build a spacious tractor for daytime foraging without having to use a "chicken ark". They are easy to build, can be lightweight but still sturdy enough to withstand predator attack and can solve all your problems in one solution.

Here's an example of one but keep in mind it doesn't even have to be this big or elaborate...it merely needs to keep your birds safe while they free range so it can be a lower arch on the panels and a shorter design that doesn't include extreme laying options or housing. Attaching a tote or bucket for a nest box is a breeze and a tarp for shade and you are in business.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/rabun127.html

You can also construct with PVC pipe and wire to create an even lighter weight and easier to move tractor and there are many plans for those online.

Here's the problem that I see with the free-standing electric netting: a predator that's trying to get in, will either try to push or jump his way though. Shock or no shock, that first attempt would probably be sufficient to push over one of the fence sides. Once he's gotten over the surprise factor, that leaves the chickens now completely exposed.

I can see how it could be a psychological barrier over time, but I'm guessing it wouldn't prevent losses the first time a predator decides to investigate.

Pricing the hardware cloth, cement, and electric fencing for my dog run, is going to run about $500-$600, not including tax.. Pretty steep outlay.

There are so many cheap and good ways to build a spacious tractor for daytime foraging without having to use a "chicken ark". They are easy to build, can be lightweight but still sturdy enough to withstand predator attack and can solve all your problems in one solution.

Here's an example of one but keep in mind it doesn't even have to be this big or elaborate...it merely needs to keep your birds safe while they free range so it can be a lower arch on the panels and a shorter design that doesn't include extreme laying options or housing. Attaching a tote or bucket for a nest box is a breeze and a tarp for shade and you are in business.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/rabun127.html

You can also construct with PVC pipe and wire to create an even lighter weight and easier to move tractor and there are many plans for those online.
You're right that I really don't need anything as elaborate as a chicken ark, since they have a coop for night. I could probably design something reasonable with the hardware cloth and wood.

Back
Top Bottom