Please be nice to the workers !

OK...alright, here's my 2 cents.

I think this is a double edge swords in some cases. I think some business have gone to the "push the customer along and get to the next one", philosophy.

I used to work for a major bank on the phones (you know, that 1-800 customer service number? Yeah that one!) and dealt with a LOT Of rude and angry people. I always tried to treat everyone with respect and dignity. Not only because I was dealing with their money (in most cases, lack thereof) but because I like to be treated that way. I always tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and just roll with the punches but sometimes it was just too hard to hold that smile and cheery "hello" for the next customer.

My saving grace was, like most folks here (aren't chicken people great!), "focus on the *good experience/s* over the bad (or not so good) one" to keep me sane...and well, cheery! LOL!

However, I had to maintain a "call handle" quota and it wasn't always a feasible thing to do. Most times I would have a roamer or manager on my desk hovering, wondering why I was taking too long to explain some procedure to certain customer. I refused to just give an abrupt answer and end the call to keep a good handle time. I didn't last long there...

I'll close with what happened to me there with this old lady that called. It was around Thanksgiving (two years ago) and she was so upset that she was at negative funds. Not mad just real upset...sad. Naturally! I was trying to help her out and she stopped me and told me it was her fault and that she should have known better, blah, blah, blah.

Next thing I know she is asking me about my holiday plans and we start talking about that. She went on to tell me she had kids but all moved out and she would probably be alone cause her husband died 3 years ago. (Gees! I am feeling like a slug and really wanting to help her out) SO, while she's talking I'm looking at computer trying to figure out how I can justifiably help her...when my manager comes to me and tells me to end the call-NOW! I calmly try to tell the lady I had to end the call and she was pleasant and said, "Well, you have a good holiday season son and hug your mom." (I think she was smiling...I don't know why but, I could sense it.)

I was on that call for like 15 minutes...waaaaay over my desired handle time.
roll.png
Whatever!!!!
roll.png

I, of course, began to tear. (I am way too emotional for a dude!) My manager had been listening to my call and WROTE me up for it. I was like, HUH? I was being NICE! Anyway...that conversation has stayed with me since I left that job...it was her at her worse but she had the spirit and Ooomph that I hope everyone else would. Perhaps this would be a better world for it? I think so!
smile.png

Peace-

Pedro

Last edited:
Pedro, Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one who had a hard time keeping my handle time down and not chatting with all the interesting people who would call me. I used to take airline reservations for a major American Airline (hint hint) and I could never keep my call times down! I was terrible! There were calls for bereavement fares in which someone's relative had died and such - and you're expected to handle that whole situation and get them off the phone in under 2minutes and 30seconds?? I was always chatting and meeting the most interesting people over the phone.

I smile a lot ( and am teased for it). I hold doors open for people, even men, if I get to the door first. I try to make eye contact and smile at strangers, especially when I'm feeling grumpy. I say "Bless you" when ANYONE sneezes, even an animal (get teased for that, too). I make it a point to get to know every electrician, computer person, or janitor everywhere I've ever worked. NO ONE is invisible, and I think trying to be nice should be mandatory.

----- I love this "Wegotchickens" - I couldn't agree more. By the way, I also get teased for saying "Gesundheit" when animals sneeze, but then again, maybe people are just snickering because I'm saying the word "Gesundheit"
tongue.png

I really do believe, I admit it's corny, that you can change the world by being nice to people. I've seen it in my own life, when I've felt that the world was crashing down on me, someone does something unexpectedly kind, and it turns everything around. I try to make the world a better place by being kind to everyone I encounter. I too would have probably kept you from your work Unionwirewoman by chatting with you. I'm sorry people have been rude to you.

Tara

Back
Top Bottom