PLEASE: Can anyone tell if these are pullets or cockerals?

I think Dotty is def a roo, she has red gullets coming in. Gretchel has a slight color in her comb so I'd watch her too. You will be able to tell more and more every week, look for the comb to be really red and the under gullets to be red and show. Compare them to each other

larsonll: No fortunately, I can have whatever I want here...and plenty of land to boot. Nearest neighbors have llamas, alpacas, chickens, peacocks, turkeys, donkeys, pott belly pigs, fainting goats, etc....(even though they are a ways away-yes we still hear them :) ) How many roosters can you safely have together? What can you do to make them all "just get along?" if they have enough space/hens? The coop we are finishing up has aprox 275 sq ft inside and the outside "run" has around 600+ sq ft. (Still a work in progress)

Last edited:
Quote:
I am only repeating what I have read but it's my understanding 1 boy to approx 10 girls. If you have boys and girls together and more then one boy there will be the head roo and then the lesser ones, and as long as they accept the head roos place he will tolerate them (usually). I have also heard you can have a "bachlor" pad full of many males, but they have to be completely isolated from females.

and thanks for thank link-saved it to my favorites!!
So if you were to guess which look like hens?
Is there anything to look for in personality?
I have several that go crazy when I come and fly up to me (especailly the cochins) the polish loves to sit snuggled under my neck...dotty loves to snuggle into the crook of my arm. The one that I would have guessed to be a boy is Roxie-squacks horribly when handled and doesnt like it when i put his/her head down etc.

Quote:
I only had the one roo, so not sure. I think they will establish their own pecking order, I would think being raised together would be a plus, that way the fights to establish pecking order would be out of the way when they are smaller. But I doubt there is any way to avoid the fights, just have to make sure it doesn't get to out of hand. A lot will depend on the nature of the individual roos too, if you have 2 that won't back down it can be deadly, literally.

Back
Top Bottom