Please can you tell me what type of hen this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lynn57, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

She is about 4 mths old and came from a place where the lady raised purebreds....but what type I have no idea? Can you help

Thanks so much!

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Looks Cubalaia(sp) but we will need comb pictureand picture where she is standing normal

3. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I would definitely say Cubalaya

4. Lynn57

Aug 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

thanks!! still think its a Cubalaya?

5. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Uh huh. I believe the variety is Black Breasted Red Cubalaya. [​IMG]

6. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Could be Wheaten Cubalaya. I love the Cubalaya.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Wheaten in my opinion even if it would be classified as a BBred. BBreds are a much darker color.

8. Lynn57

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks guys! I wasn't planning on buying a "unknown" when I went out to see some buff O. But this little gal flew up into my arms when all the others were freaking out from us being there. She came out of a hatch from a lady that was heavy into breeding different types of chickens. The breeder was tragically killed and her friend had hatched out these eggs just after her death. We call her Greta and she is very small, maybe a bantam cubalaya instead of a standard?

Thanks again

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Cubalaya females should reach 4 lbs if they are from quality breeder stock. If the lady was breeding from hatchery stock, she'll probably be smaller than the 4lbs. They take longer to mature than other breeds, so it'll be around 8 months before you see an egg. She will not be completely mature until over a year of age. The breed is well known for being very friendly and curious birds, part of why I chose to breed them. [​IMG]

She's wheaten colored. She is probably only 3 months old at best, still has a lot of growing and feathering to do!

I have a blue wheaten female that is still quite small, almost bantam size, as she is an F1 from two hatchery stock parents.

Here's the breed page on the cubalaya:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/cubalaya/4075

The featured birds are from known breeders of cubalaya, which I've purchased over the past couple of years.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by