please check out my butt

Oh my, that link was a bit overwhelming. Now again it makes me want to swapp out all of the birds and get a fresh batch, or do my own chicks in the spring,
or turn our coop into a playhouse with an inclosed sand box. Seriously! Is it possible to have a flock without having major health problems.

I do want to have chickens but had no idea it could be so complex and time consuming - something I really don't have much of with two baby peeps of my own.

So I was going to give them all a bath today, but don't really want to just for the heck of it, if it's not a good idea to keep them. Yowzers.

ps - our yellow lab met the chickens this morning while they were scratching around in their coop. She absolutely loves them, the chickens however hate her. (sigh)

thanks for the poop chart too, very helpful - but I'm gonna go throw up now.

Quote:
if i can do it than u can do it. i am handicapped use a crane to walk n taking care of elder person in wheelchair have a hubby, daughter n 3 dogs 6 inside cats 7 feral cats. n 10 chickens

but if u are not cut out to have fresh eggs for your family give them up.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.
sad.png

sometimes it's just best to start out with baby chicks, that way you know how they're being raised. And if you do end up getting rid of all of them, that would be my suggestion, start over with babies. the only down side is that you have to wait about five months before they start laying.

that's so strange about the roo, almost sounds like they were just trying to get rid of him.
roll.png

hang in there, you'll find your chicken-groove
cool.png

I would not look for zebras yet (i.e. kidney infection). I would just keep an eye on him and see how he acts. If he is eating well and his poop becomes normal then the red butt is probably just from other birds pulling his feathers out. If the pullets keep pulling his feathers out it could be for two reasons. One is that they are doing it because his behind is red and/or two they need more protien. I had a similar problem when I brought my second group of birds home. The poor rooster had his feathers pulled out by other birds and the pullets I brought home with him kept doing it. I mixed game bird grower in with their food and the feather picking stopped. He now has a nice fluffy butt. Now as far as what to do with him, you might see if you can get another pullet from where you got the others or just return him since he is an "extra" anyway. Good luck to you. Oh if they keep pecking at his butt you can always get some blu-kote at the feed store. It is a purple liquid that helps to heal the area and once it is no longer red, the girls will probably leave it alone. Be warned though, you will wind up with it on your hands and it does stain them blue.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh Joe, what would we do without you
gig.gif

I wonder how a person with that many birds could mistake him for a hen
th.gif
They look healthy otherwise, so I would do as others posted. Bath him really well, it could be mites. Check him at night time. Mites come out when it gets dark, so they are much easier to spot then.

Back
Top Bottom