Please comment on a coop we're considering

bacbacbac

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 23, 2010
I may have many summer projects and am considering buying a coop instead of building one. Please comment on this one we are considering found on craigslist. Unfortunately BYC is not allowing me to post the URL (this is my first post to the forum) so here are the features, and if anyone is interested in seeing the images then we'll figure something out (you might be able to see it if you enter 2197004459 in the craigslist search bar):

It has a raised sleeping area well off the ground for no dampness, with ramp for easy access.
Added benefit of having a raised house means that rats and other vermin cannot burrow underneath the house.
Made from top quality dried fir (semi hardwood).
Will not distort or rot.
Fully treated bio friendly.
Fully Covered Run For Extra Protection.
Harmless to animals and plants.
All solid timber for extra strength and durability.
Planed timber so no splinters.
Top quality wire.
No nails, only screws.
Fully weather treated with water based preservative.
Nest Box.
Removable floor in roosting area for easy cleaning.
Fox Proof stainless steel slide bolts.
Living area off the ground.
2 Locking Entrance Doors to living area.
Window for light access.
Dimensions:
78"L x 30"W x 41" H includes roof and nesting box.
2 section nesting box - 13-1/2"L x 24-1/2"W x 15"H.
Perch roosting space 27L x 22-1/4W x 26-1/2"H.
The floor area of the run is approximately 64-1/2" L x 27.5" W.
Covered area below the coop (27"L x 22"W x 13"H) is included in the run area total.
Ideal for up to approximately 3 - 5 chickens depending on their size.
$250

Admittedly I haven't researched much about chickens (yet, but will) so if there are any obvious flaws I wouldn't have the knowledge to recognize them.

We are within city limits and plan to have the maximum number of girls (3). I have read it is not recommended to use OSB and other VOC-offgassing products in their nesting area (we plan to serve them organic feed and keep it as clean from the nasties as possible), but I've not read much about weather proofing and the chems involved, and I wonder if I should try to stick with a cedar coop.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully someday I will be wise to the way of the backyard chicken and can help someone with advice on here.

research Cedar and chickens, chicks should not be exposed to cedar chips.

Where in the world are you? Off the gound is nice, how easy is access to clean? "Top quality wire" what on earth does that mean? If you are free of predators like hawks, cyotes, snakes etc any wire would be ok but there are not that many places in the USA that are devoid of those.

Everyone will ask for pictures before fully commenting

I am in Tumwater, WA, and the craigslist ad is from the Seattle listings:

Maybe this will work for you but you have to add the remaining URL info: seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/2197004459

Known local chicken killers are mostly raccoons and very large cats. Western Washington does have coyotes, foxes and hawks, but rarely have I seen a hawk in this suburban neighborhood, mostly seagulls and crows. I thought about asking about the chicken wire also, the rectangular metal seems to be the most recommended.

Those prefabricated coops tend to not be tremendously durable. But if you are looking for a quick coop, they work ok.

I sure wouldn't put 5 chickens in there, that's for sure. I didn't look at the dimensions carefully though- perch roosting space 27 inches long- hmmm that might work for a couple of chickens.

It is a good idea IMO to have at least 12 inches of roost space per chicken to avoid crowding and pecking (I have seen this with my own eyes- the mean hen pecking another and there's no room to move over.)

Also it is difficult to tell if there is enough ventilation.

I have lots of prefabricated coops and enjoy them. But I have learned not to squeeze too many hens into them. You could buy it and use it for a growout pen if it doesn't work out.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
OH AND SO TRUE! Here's my 2 cents...if you cannot free range them at all then the coop/run is too small in my book. What breed/s are you thinking of??? I have a city lot and I keep bantams and Seramas because of the limited space. (you can also have more when they are smaller..(wink-wink) I ONLY was gonna have 2, I now have 6...ha ha ha >>> you will learn about Chicken Math soon enough.

The coop looks small and very cute - which usually means made of materials not sturdy enough to keep preds out or hold up to rough weather. The run seems very small unless you free range, and even then it needs wire underneath it to prevent preds from digging under. They don't mention if wiring is just chicken wire. You really need hardware cloth. And I would cover the run to prevent something climbing in or diving from the sky.

as was mentioned - not big enough. You may sincerely believe you won't get more chickens but, you will sincerely be wrong. Just call it "chicken math," which is akin to 'can't eat just one potato chips,' chickens are way more fun .

Back
Top Bottom