Please confirm that this is a gold laced Wyandotte??!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chezpoulet, Jan 2, 2011.

1. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    Hi all

My husband teases me about "lurking" in the shadows of the BYC forum for the past couple of months, as I researched raising chicks etc, so I finally joined BYC as an official member yesterday! [​IMG]

I got my chicks from some family in town who had ordered more chicks than they needed. Two of the chicks are supposed to be Gold laced Wyandottes. All 5 chicks are 5 weeks old now, and we are really enjoying them! I am posting pics of the GLW - at what point would I start seeing the rose comb? It looks very much like they have got single combs, so I am curious about whether they mixed up the chicks- they had Welsummers as well in the mix. I also hope they are pullets!!

I am a complete newbie, so I really don't know what juvenile GLWs are supposed to look like!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Michigan!

It's hard for me to see the pics but maybe someone else can help?

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    sorry Not a GLW.
    Better pics will help, but it might be a Welsummers because you said there were some in the mix

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im sorry they do not look like GLW especially if they have a single comb:-( If we could get better photos perhaps we can identify more easily? Others might be able to tell you what it is but I cant:-(

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] They look like Welsummers. Wyandottes would be showing lacing, not barring at this age. They will be pretty birds though! And lay awesome colored eggs! [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I don't think it is a GLw either but sonew just to let you know, there are Wyandottes that are born with single combs that come from hatcheries.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    NOT a GLW.

These are GLW at various ages;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG] from Missouri!

Judging by their coloring, those are not GLWs. Hard to say now, but when they're fully feathered in a month or two we can tell you the breed. [​IMG]

Many hatchery Wyandottes will have single combs (even though the Wyandotte breed standard calls for rose combs [​IMG]). I got five GLWs from Cackle, and three had single combs and two had rose combs...

9. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    Thanks all- shucks, I was hoping for GLWs, but Welsummers will work too. :) Let's hope the Aurtalorps and the Red sex-link are what they are supposed to be! Happy NY!

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Hi, and welcome. If they have single combs, they are not wyandottes(they have rose combs-usually). From the limited photos...the one photo almost looks like a partridge coloration. Hard to say what you got but it will neat to see what you get [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by