Please critique: The Fortress of Chickentude

I'd suggest getting some "fender washers" to put under those screws ... or just pull the screws out, and put another strip of wood over the top of the hardware cloth secured with screws ...

I also would suggest replacing the zip ties with 12 gauge steel wire ...

And unless your shooting something like a 45-70 or 12 gauge with slugs ... I'd image all that wire will deflect your bullet from point of aim ...
I have washers under every screw in the coop. And I'll use some steel wire to better secure the hardware cloth. I'm sure o have some around somewhere.. if not, ill get some. I wanted to get everything in place, and now I'll make sure everything is more secure. Thank you for the idea. As for the rifle: I have pretty much any caliber needed. I was planning on using a 223 as that has the best scope on it and is sighted in for about the distance of the coop.. figured then I wouldn't worry as much about missing and deflecting off the chainlink.

Thank you for the idea! I didn't initially secure around there with hardware cloth because I didn't have the swing initially, and I keep the chickens in the coop overnight, but I have additional cloth that I can put around that area. We also live in an area plagued with rocks everywhere, so I may take your idea with those as well! Thank uou
My chickens have an enclosed run and then their coop. They used to ALWAYS ALL sleep in the coop. This year they have decided to roost outside in the enclosed run on the roosts we put out there. Just saying you don't know when a chicken will change it's habits! Better to be safe now than later. And yes, use the rocks if they are free!
You have pretty chickens and I'm glad you care enough to keep them safe! :frow

I have washers under every screw in the coop. And I'll use some steel wire to better secure the hardware cloth. I'm sure o have some around somewhere.. if not, ill get some. I wanted to get everything in place, and now I'll make sure everything is more secure. Thank you for the idea. As for the rifle: I have pretty much any caliber needed. I was planning on using a 223 as that has the best scope on it and is sighted in for about the distance of the coop.. figured then I wouldn't worry as much about missing and deflecting off the chainlink.
What is the deal about you men wanting to shoot at everything? Really? :confused:

It's not just men that know how to shoot and do shoot predators, my neighbor is a woman and totes a 30-30 for varmints and I respect that.

JT
I know women shoot too, but men want to brag about it like it's something special. My mother was a great shot. When she was 72 she shot a snake in her backyard, and skinned it. In the middle of the city!! When I asked her why? she told me "to see if I still could". . . .No big deal. It's ok with me. I never wanted to shoot anything except for the 3 bears that killed my flock. Nothing else was ever able to penetrate the coop or run. We're good. :pop

I have washers under every screw in the coop.

But ... they really need to be a larger outside diameter to cover all four sides of the square mesh ...

Twigs will deflect a bullet, I'd imagine so would wire ... if you could catch the critter climbing the outside, or up on top different story ... but if it is below the top of the hardware cloth your gonna have to sneak the bullet inside of a 1/2" square ...

What is the deal about you men wanting to shoot at everything? Really? :confused:
Honestly, I don't like shooting living things. I target shoot for fun, but have never hunted. I actually got a little depressed when I shot a woodchuck that was digging around my coop. But when it is between my family and pets or whatever is harassing them, you better believe I'm taking that predator out however I can.

Honestly, I don't like shooting living things. I target shoot for fun, but have never hunted. I actually got a little depressed when I shot a woodchuck that was digging around my coop. But when it is between my family and pets or whatever is harassing them, you better believe I'm taking that predator out however I can.
I like the way you think! I get it and actually agree!

What is your recommendation for over the top of the coop that raccoons will have a harder time with?
14ga 2x4 welded wire over the chicken wire would help....14ga 1x2 welded wire wire would be even better.
Keeping the snow off it may be tricky, will need supports underneath and a roof rake to scrape off the outside what can't be banged lose from underneath.

Back
Top Bottom