Please Don't Eat the Daisies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leight54, Mar 12, 2012.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

In planning my gardens this year, I want to grow things that serve double-duty. I'm wondering what flowers chickens are fond of. (To eat, I mean, not to look at [​IMG] ) I've read that they like marigolds, but what else?

I won't let them help themselves, I know that would spell disaster for the plants. But I'll pick the flowers and toss them to them. It'll benefit the plants, as well, to keep them pinched back!

What kind of flowers to your chickens especially like?

2. Chick pea, if you grow veggies they are fond of the leaves

our chicks dont like flowers`

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I know only that mine don't like any of the flowers they've had access to. They don't like rose leaves or Purple Coneflower. I'd imagine they wouldnt' care for marigold either. Zinnias, maybe. Daylillies are another possibility.

But what they really like are the green parts of most plants, not the flowers.

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been my experience that if it's green and grows the cluckers like it. Kale might be a good choice. Grows well around here anyway.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think daylilies are poisonous... petunias and pansies are yummy, though.

6. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
  7. Oletadarlene

Oletadarlene New Egg

Jul 14, 2015
    Grand Ledge, Mi
    Hi I've plsnted. Squash blossom. Marigolds. Nasturshums . (Spell) violets grieving Wild. Strawberries. Blueberries. Cabbage. There's a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by