Please don't ever make me do that again!

startingover

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Northern Kentucky
So we bought a new farm. We talked about leaving the guineas at the old house. Then I decided that I couldn't. They had to come with us. I figured that if I didn't take them and just ordered new keets in the spring to start a whole new flock that we would have ticks coming out our rears if we didn't have adults out and about.

So we moved them.

It took 30 minutes to gather them all into cages. Even in the dark locked in the coop. They fled. They beat me up. They bit me. I have scratches to no end on my hands and lower arms. Even wearing gloves and a thick coat. Those sharp little guinea nails found my skin.

You'd think I had never ever touched them before. These are the same guineas who will eat out of my hand.

But they are happy now in thier new home! We made a temporary pen to keep them locked in during the day off the coop. Oh - never let anyone tell you that you can't make a 12x37 foot pen being held together with zip strips AND keep the birds in! LOL. We did and it's been a week and it works!

We are down to 18 guineas right now and still have about 30 chickens. I got rid of some chickens before winter to help with the feed bill.

With the guineas I'm going to order in the spring and the ones I'll hatch I will probably end up with about 60 guineas and then sell the rest. I try to hatch and sell enough keets to pay for feed for the year.

... So we moved them.

It took 30 minutes to gather them all into cages. Even in the dark locked in the coop. They fled. They beat me up. They bit me. I have scratches to no end on my hands and lower arms. Even wearing gloves and a thick coat. Those sharp little guinea nails found my skin.

You'd think I had never ever touched them before. These are the same guineas who will eat out of my hand.

But they are happy now in thier new home! We made a temporary pen to keep them locked in during the day off the coop. Oh - never let anyone tell you that you can't make a 12x37 foot pen being held together with zip strips AND keep the birds in! LOL. We did and it's been a week and it works!
Congratulations on the new place and the successful relocation of your Guineas. I dont move quick enough to catch mine so I had to use a net with my last flock. The net is now gone walk about I need to make or buy another.

Aren't zip ties great good for temporary use or to use as a second pair of hands for hanging wire.

the coop/run I am building now is going to have a "loading ramp" or funnel built in to the run so that I can herd them into a funnel and then into what ever container I have on the other side. I still haven't worked out the details.

Back
Top Bottom