Please don't make my mistake if you have a water trough chick proof it

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ericasl, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Well here is my STUPIED story, we have a water trough because our chickens share a 1 acre area with 2 goats and 2 sheep. I don't know how many time I have told my DH we need to chick proof that I swear I have said it 50 times and thought it in my head a million. Well we waited on day to late we had a chick fall in and drown. I was so mad at myself and I knew better![​IMG] Things just kept getting busy and I just did not do it. Well what a bad lesson we learned. So please if you have a water trough and you have not chick proofed it please do, so you don't learn the hard way like we did.
    I lined it with very small chicken wire so if someone falls in they can just walk out, and the animals can still drink from it.

2. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I lost a few ducks to a bucket,
    I thought they were to small to get into, lesson the hard way.
    Sorry for your loss
    Brenda

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I am so sorry, that would have been so heart wrenching.

I worry about our cats/kittens falling into our horse troughs in the pasture too.... they love to jump up on the metal sides and try to lean in and get a drink if the water is high enough. I put cinder blocks standing on end in them so if a cat falls in they can get their feet on something to stand on.

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am so sorry for your loss. Your experience will help others I am sure.
    Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by